PDA

View Full Version : Just Doing What I Want

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
December 20th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Someone told me that now a requirement to submit a story to a publisher for editing or whatever must contain atleast 3-5 pages describing or informing about your character and his motivation.
I was also told that if your story doesn't have a hook it is thrown back on the shelf, which I agree.

But is there any publishers who still accept old fashioned books?
Books without a beginning hook, such as LordOfTheRings: The Fellowship( I dont know about you all, but it took alot of effort to continue reading the first chapters about the big party of an extremely old man.).

I foresee most of you will tell me to finish the story and go back and edit the beginning to make a hook, which I could do but when I read it and peoples comments I don''t like it because I too cannot find a reason I would finish the book after reading it.

Anyone have a suggestion or something you could call an answer?

TheEarCollector
December 21st, 2004, 12:54 AM
A hook doesn't have to be a huge action sequence, it doesn't have to be big at all...
All a hook does is pique the curiosity of the reader. It tells the reader why they need to bother wasting the time to read through your work.
A "hook" doesn't even have to be on the first page, first paragraph, or first chapter either... I think the unwritten rule is to give the book a chance for the first 60-pages (the average sized book) before giving it up.

Write whatever you want... If you go back and you feel the story is perfect, then it is. Don't let a publisher make you change it. Don't let friends make you change it. Leave your story the way it was meant to be told andeventually someone will pick it up (if it is any good, but even if it isn't it is still yours and not just another popular sellout).

Dawnstorm
December 21st, 2004, 01:41 AM
In a bookshop, I pick up books that pique my interest (title plays a big part, to a lesser extent cover). Then I open the book at random and read. If I like the way the words spill over into my brains, I'll buy it. It's the style that draws my interest. In 9 out of 10 cases I've bought the book before I even know whether it's got a hook or not. I'm rarely disappointed.

What I want from an author is a genuin voice (or set of voices); a take on the world different from mine. As long as I get that, I'm content. Working in a "hook" because you think there "has to be one", runs counter to that. So I say, yes, do what you want.

Holbrook
December 21st, 2004, 02:03 AM
Subzero; just write your story as you want it to be. Get it done.... plenty of time after to think on altering it. If that is you want to alter it.

SubZero61992
December 21st, 2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I to pick books by title, but once I read the info on the back and it said sometihng about a wizard on a quest, so I am thinking it is something in the sword age, so I check it out and read the first sentence and it has T.V., remote control, and other sorts of technology.

I like the books I get to be like LordOfTheRings, but few do so.