Best set design
Best visual effects
Best sound
Best editing
Best original score
Best film song (Enya)
Best make up
Best costume design

I expect they will only win in the technical catagories on oscar night, but even the nominations only are a great success for the fantasy genre.

Alucard
February 12th, 2002, 08:03 AM
I really hope it does well. Really, last year was one of the worst years for film in a long, long time, but since I enjoyed the lord of the rings so much, I can overlook all that. I haven't been this excited about up and coming movies in a long time, next christmas can't come soon enough.

But just that many nominations os a statement. No fantasy film has ever gotten praise like that. Here's to hoping it gets the best picture award (which, in case you didn't know, if it does do well at the oscars, it is said that they will add an extended ending -- which is basically the introduction to the next film -- on to the end as a bonus to give folks reason to see it again. Works for me.)

Rob B
February 12th, 2002, 08:15 AM
The new ending was already added or will be added regardless.

Alai
February 13th, 2002, 04:35 AM
I hope it wins all, it's worth it. Really I don't believe in the Oscars. Everytime best foreign fil gets to be some stupid, bad made, film that nobody likes anyway.

Cygnus
February 18th, 2002, 10:41 AM
I'm not a fan of the Academy Awards for the most part. It always seems to be a popularity contest with the only the best know directors, actors and films winning nominations. But I have to say that I'm very pleased to see the 13 nominations for LOTR. Not so much because the Academy found it "worthy", but that it will bring more attention to the film and maybe even the fantasy genre as a whole.

I'd say it's a long shot in the main categories (for the above reasons) but they better walk home with a few of those statues! Though you can just imagine how much screaming there will be in my house if it does get best picture! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

What is this about an added ending? This is the first I'd heard of this.

saintjon
February 18th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Jeez, Alai, I loved La Vita est Bela. And didn't Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon win that award, too? Those movies were great.

Indrapramit
May 4th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Hey everyone,

Peter Jackson really deserved the best director, and I think the ensemble acting in FOTR was brilliant. Quite a movie, stunning.

And foriegn best pictures aren't always bad. I agree that Crouching Tiger was good.

The-Windlord
November 9th, 2002, 07:11 PM
In my opinion, we should really give more respect and praise to Tolkien than Peter, but Tolkien is dead. Think, if Tolkien had never have described the places like he did, I believe the movie would've been, ok and not brilliant. And the heart and time he put into the characters, Peter Jackson could've never had done it without the help of Tolkien's legacy. And what if Tolkien had never created the Hobbit or LotR. But all the same, Peter Jackson is the best director I have seen. He pulled off the LotR excellent. The score and soundtrack were awesome, the costumes, make-up, action sequences, script and actors were all excellent. Give credit to both, but if I were to give credit more to anyone, I would to Tolkien, for without him, LotR would have never existed.

Your memory lives on J.R.R.Tolkien,

And give praise also to Peter Jackson!