PDA

View Full Version : Help me Identify this book from a vague description

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

epimetheus
December 29th, 2004, 11:27 PM
This has been bugging me for some time, and I cannot seem to find out what book this was. I was pretty sure it was Simak or Laumer, but searching their bibliography doesn't seem to show me this book. It is an older book, 60's perhaps early 70s, and is relatively short- 200 pages tops. The front cover had a midget or a child with a huge head sitting on a throne or something. The story is about a telepath of some sort (perhaps all he can do is go into dreams), that is hired by the goverment to delve into this "childs" subconsious brain and find ideas for weapons for war. The guy crawls into this childs dreams or unconcious or whatever, and finds out that "God" is trapped inside and is insane. I can't remember exactly what happens, but the child or the man somehow kills god and the man gets the power. He eventually splits the power with some woman he loves. That is about all I remember.

Also, even vauger is this, a different sci-fi story altoghther: A telepath running from some people that are looking for a stone or artifact that he has. The artifact or something can activate a ship or something. On the front cover is a guy holding a stone or orb in his hand raised above his head, and a gigantic ship is rising out of the ocean. I can't remember much of the plot, I do remember this guy used his empathy/telepathy to have his way with women, and one of the main characters in the book was a woman. Sorry I don't know more, I am mostly interested in the first book though.

I would also love to hear other suggestions. I have read many books about telepaths, and would love to read more. I have read "How like a God", Time and Time again, Patternist series, Night of delusions (not a telepath, but he gains godlike powers), Infinity Cage, and many more. I would love suggestions of more Telepath or Godlike power themes similar to the above too! Anyhow, I really would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

JainFarstrider
December 30th, 2004, 12:01 AM
i reccomend watching Akira. Its anime but sort of deals with telepathy.
I cant help you with the books though.

minibirte
December 30th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I can't help you with identifying the books.

But you might like The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin. It's about a guy who changes the world when he is dreaming. The psychiatrist who is supposed to help him tries to use him to make the world a better place...

epimetheus
December 30th, 2004, 10:23 AM
I own and love Akira! Big anime fan. :)

I also love LeGuin's Lathe of Heaven. I read the book after I watched the movie. After that I have been a fan of LeGuin.

I found out the name of the book and the author. It is a Dean Koontz book, oddly enough, and is pretty much pure Sci-Fi. It is called "A Darkness in my soul."

JainFarstrider
December 30th, 2004, 03:40 PM
yeah anime is great. I usually dont like Dean Koontz because his books depress me but maybe i will give this one a try.