View Full Version : Is it me?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Glelas
December 30th, 2004, 11:32 AM
I recently joined two well-known and popular online writer critique groups geared toward Fantasy/Sci-Fi(hundreds of members). I submitted some swill and expected to be torn apart. I WANTED to be torn apart. Instead I got "wow, i really liked your character Joe Blow and how he developed after the confrontation with Suzy Q" or "That was a great paragraph I can't wait to read more" etc. I can't improve without the brutal truth. I realize nobody is going to say 'you suck, give it up' etc but come on, TELL me what is wrong. An encouraging "keep it up" now and then is good enough for me to keep me writing. I don't need to be cottled.

On the other side, the critiques (which I have tons more of than submissions) I give I quickly get into the problems I have with a particular piece. I try to be specific when neccessary. I am no way disrespectful, rude, mean or discouraging, hell I consciously think before I write not to offend anyone or their craft. And I make sure they know I ENJOYED what I read (I always do enjoy reading someone else's work). After a few days, what I got were several e-mails from several different people telling me to NEVER critique their WORK again. I was hurt and stunned and well, a little angry. I went to see what others said about the aforementioned WORK. It was all praise not one true critique.

Is it me or is this defeating the purpose of an ONLINE CRITIQUE GROUP?
How can someone improve without making mistakes and getting them pointed out? :confused:

michaelS0620
December 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, many people out there WANT to be told that their work is great. No matter how much they may protest that they want "the honest truth", they really don't. What they want is a pat on the back. What they then do, is do for you what they themselves want. They give you the "pat on the back".

In some ways I think this is not entirely unjustified or not understandable. Many of these people have lived with their stories for a long time, writing, re-writing, polishing. They desprately want it to "be worth it". They take criticism (however constructive or thoughtful) as evidence that it wasn't all worth it.

In my mind this is what differentiates those who seek to improve their craft, and those who don't. In reality those who react so negatively to honest criticism, will most likely never improve and never get published. That's not to say you need to *agree* with every criticism someone throws at you.

Dawnstorm
December 30th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Well, from a critique group, I'd expect...

...ta dah...

A Critique!

The good, the bad and the ugly!

But then I'm strange...

Glelas
December 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Well, from a critique group, I'd expect...

...ta dah...

A Critique!

The good, the bad and the ugly!

But then I'm strange...

Exactly, but it seems members of those sites are not to fond of giving or receiving a critique.

JamesL
December 30th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I'm afraid many critique groups are simply mutual back-slapping gangs where people bask in a few positive words from a total stranger. Nothing wrong with this, but it is utterly pointless if you actually want to improve your writing.

The only person I let read my work is my girlfriend because she is brutally honest and therefore of immense value in terms of writing. :)

Holbrook
December 30th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I'm afraid many critique groups are simply mutual back-slapping gangs where people bask in a few positive words from a total stranger. Nothing wrong with this, but it is utterly pointless if you actually want to improve your writing.

This is not completely true. I have had some harrowing critiques from one group over the years. I have learned a lot from critiques, from individuals and groups. You need a broad base of people to give you input into a work, nothing against your girlfriend, but you are in a way writing for an audience of one. You will tailor your work to suit her comments, even subconsiously. But in the end you have to go with what you think. Critique groups can help a lot with the basics and how you present you story. The story is up to you.

And there are some good groups out there.

Glelas; What is the name of this group?

As to critiques themselves as I said I have had some horrible ones. They have made me moan and very angry. Then when my temper has cooled I have gone back and gone over what the person has said. It takes time to do a critique, if a person takes the time, whether it is a good one or bad you owe that person a small debit in a way and you should not forget it. The took the time to read your work and that is all a writer can ask. If they took further time to tell you what they thought that is a bonus.

juzzza
December 31st, 2004, 06:04 AM
I have a perverse habit of asking either very talented writers or VERY hard to please readers, to read and critique my work. I guess I figure if they like it, I am on the right track. I don't always make changes based on comments, but I do take them on board.

I must admit it was hard at first to take criticism but then as someone above mentioned, if you REALLY want to improve your craft and are serious about selling work, guess what... You have to face up to the fact that you are probably not an amazing writer who is going to blow people away with your new creation. Deal with it. You may however, if you LISTEN and not take criticism personally, write a great story that is tight enough and engaging enough to crack that deal.

Crit Groups do not appeal to me at all. I also never ask friends to read my work and give me feedback, if they ask me to read my work because they want to 'read' rather than 'edit' and 'critique', of course I let them.

It's important to find different types of test readers, your 'crit' reader could read a published novel and nitpick on how they would deliver the story... It sure isn't impossible to find grammar, spelling and style issues in bestsellers! There is a danger if you stay in the crit world in a vacuum, that you never get out of it, you will NEVER write something that can't be critiqued... Remember that. Don't expect to EVER here from your 'crit' reader "Couldn't find anything wrong with it, well done."

You also need readers who are simply reading your work to tell you if the 'story' works and if it flowed and the characters were engaging and interesting, what was unbelievable or what grated.

Then you have the grammar nazis who are invaluable, as this is the quickest way from the slush into the bin.

Of course it is great if you find an extremely well-read individual, who has some industry knowledge, either as editors/publishers or of course, published writers.

You need a mix of test readers, remembering that the story is yours. Take everything onboard and make choices, remove the howlers but keep the passion and be grateful to anyone who invests their time in reading your work.

TheEarCollector
December 31st, 2004, 09:44 AM
I was in a great workshop where about five of us were willing to tear each other apart. If something was good, we didn't mention to hesitate it, but if something didn't fit we would gladly point it out. I was not hurt at all...
What did make me angry were two things: "I liked it," or "I didn't like it."
I hate it when those are the only comments I get... "I liked it," because that doesn't tell me anything, and "I didn't like it," because it doesn't tell me anything either. I have never had a problem with someone telling me that a specific part couldn't be understood because then I know I have to focus on that but generalities that apply to the entire work - ARGH!

One method I have found around this is to break the fiancÚ in... By that I mean I just bugged her and nagged her about every little part of the story before I started getting responses. She started as a "I like it," person too, but after a while she started to become a real help. I can't get her to tear into me and be entirely malicious, but she will at least point out where something doesn't make sense (and then I can go rework it) or where she would like more information.

Rocket Sheep
December 31st, 2004, 11:02 PM
I've test run a few crit groups over the years. I found with the largest two groups, which may be the ones you are referring to, that you initially get a lot of short useless (I love it!/What does it all mean?/You are so funny!/Are you on drugs?) crits but eventually a few excellent crits come in. I get annoyed that people get points for their one paragraph off the top of their head (the bit full of air) tho, when I work hard to do mine.

I've found that I get the greatest number of thoughtful crits from otherworlds.net. It's a smaller group, they only take fantasy and sf (no horror or alt future), it's harder work to maintain a membership there, and has an emphasis on commercial publication. If you only write for a hobby or experimentation, then you won't like the feedback anyway. The level of the feedback is generally quite high.

I have a face to face crit group which involves editors and published writers and that feedback is exceptional but I still like to run things through Otherworlds first to knock things into shape, check for comprehension, etc.

MrBF1V3
January 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
When I was in managment class I learned to give criticism by starting with something positive, then working to the negative, and to start with general and work to specific. Of course the whole idea there is to improve the behavior of employees, and not to make them all quit.

I tend to do the same kind of thing when I give a critique, and try to find room for improvment in even some very good work. I figure that's what someone is asking for when they want a critique. (If you want me to say that you're great, you have to say so. :) )

Glelas, it sounds like you fell in with people who only do the first part of a critique. Did you save the receipt?

It does help to have a group of friends who will read your work and give you good feedback.
B5