http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/the_chronicles_of_narnia.html

monty

juzzza
January 27th, 2005, 09:51 AM
The link below has photos (40+) of some of the snow sets for CON:

http://www.usteckytydenik.cz/galerie.php?idg=13

JamesL
January 27th, 2005, 10:45 AM
The film looks great - very Lord of the Rings-esque (hardly surprising given that Weta are involved).

Leiali
January 27th, 2005, 10:58 AM
But what is Aslan going to be like?! Good pictures if you like snow, doors and trees :D

Zsinj
January 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM
WOW!!!! It looks totally awesome! And this is being made by Disney?!!! I can't believe it!
JamesL is right, it does look very, VERY LOTR-like. The Minataurs look kick -ass!
This might convince me to read the books. MIGHT is the key word here. Being mistakenly placed in a Christian fundamentalist school for nine years and constanly being told that all fantasy is evil and C.S. Lewis' Narnia is the only good fantasy because its allegory doesn't exactly make me eager to read it. This school also plugged LOTR as an allegory and the only other "pure" fantasy to read, but because of my parents and my friends, I found out what the school was saying about LOTR was a bunch of hogwash, and lo and behold I read it and absolutely loved it! Those that say that LOTR is a Christian allegory have obviously never read it, there's things in those books that would make any rigid Bob Jones University attender's flesh crawl! LOL! :D
By the way, I have a question about one of the Narnia books: my sister has an omnibus edition of the Narnia series (the version with Aslan's head on the cover) and I was just looking through it, and in the last book (I think it was The Last Battle", I saw a couple of illustrations of this anthropomorphic bird-like demon god thing that resembled Kali from Hindu mythology? Does anyone here know who this creature is?

Loque
January 28th, 2005, 02:21 PM
The Inexorable Tash, he's the god of the Calorman people I seem to recall.

Zsinj
January 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info, Loque! :)
I have another question about the Narnia Series, if you guys don't mind me asking: In the Narnia Series, is there some kind of supreme Dark Lord or Dark God, like Sauron in LOTR, or The Storm King in MS&T, or Queen Takhisis in Dragonlance, or Arioch in Elric of Melnibone?

Pagadan
January 28th, 2005, 08:35 PM
In the Narnia Series, is there some kind of supreme Dark Lord or Dark God, like Sauron in LOTR, or The Storm King in MS&T, or Queen Takhisis in Dragonlance, or Arioch in Elric of Melnibone?

It's been a while since I read them, and I didn't recall a villain off hand; however, the SFBC recently had a blurb for each of the seven books. Here are the blurbs that mention villains:

Prince Caspian: The Pevensie children, Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, return to Narnia--to rescue Prince Caspian from terrible danger and help him battle the evil King Miraz who will resort to anything to keep the prince from his rightful place on Narnia's throne.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Lucy, Edmund, and Cousin Eustace embark on a voyage aboard The Dawn Treader with Prince Caspian. As Caspian and the children search for the good men his vile uncle King Miraz banished, they find unforgettable adventure on the high seas with a swashbuckling mouse.

The Silver Chair: Caspian’s son is held captive in the Emerald Witch’s underground kingdom. Plagued by bullies at school, Eustace and Jill open a door to Narnia™. Now they're fighting giants and the wicked Witch herself on their quest to bring the prince back to his aging father.

The Last Battle: A false Aslan roams Narnia . . . The King's only hope is that he, Eustace, Jill, the unicorn Jewel and a few remaining loyal subjects will find the true Aslan and defeat the powers of evil and darkness.

Loque
January 28th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info, Loque! :)
I have another question about the Narnia Series, if you guys don't mind me asking: In the Narnia Series, is there some kind of supreme Dark Lord or Dark God, like Sauron in LOTR, or The Storm King in MS&T, or Queen Takhisis in Dragonlance, or Arioch in Elric of Melnibone?

There's not really any single arch-enemy no. There are several different supreme enemies in various books, for example The White Witch in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe has certai similarities to Sauron but she only features in that one book. In the final book Tash is made out to be sort of the devil but it's not very clear cut, more that the creature the religion of Calorman is based around is evil but those worshipping him are not necessarily worshipping a representative idea of him i.e. Tash's worshippers are not all evil.

BlackCauldron
February 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I read this whole series of books like 5 times when I was a kid. After seeing what a remarkable job they did with LOTR, I'm very optimistic about how good Narnia can be. They just put out a new video talking about the director, and there are some cool behind the scenes glimpses of the sets and costumes they are using. Looks promsing!

Narnia Featurette (http://bvbp-qt.vitalstream.com/LionWitchWardrobe/Narnia_Chapter2_TheDirector_1500.mov)