PDA

View Full Version : What are your goals for 2005?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

JRMurdock
January 6th, 2005, 03:25 PM
2004 came and went. How did you fare?

My goal for 2004 was to write 100 short stories and get 12 published. A lofty goal I know. I only wrote 75-80 short stories and was published a mere 8 times (got my final one Dec 31st). I aimed high. It was brutal and I knew it would be. I'm very happy with the success I had.

In 2004 I also got a query letter refined and a synopsis refined and I need to do a little more with them before I send those out. I also wrote approx. 20 chapters for two other novels I intend to finish one day. I got sidetracked from my short stories.

For 2005, I'm setting a different and much more difficult goal. 100 short stories was a good goal and I found my voice. I now intend to write 10-20 Novellas for 2005. I didn't set an exact number for a novella can range wildly (roughly 15K-50K words). Depending on length will depend on the number I end up writing. I may also write a short story or two.

I had several short stories rejected last year because they didn't go in depth enough, or ended abruptly. This is where I will be starting with my novellas. I want to expand a couple short stories that I either dropped because I didn't want to cut them short or finished abruptly because I didn't know how to end them. Either way, I'll be a writing fiend again this year.

I also plan on getting my query letter finalized and getting my book back out there. I need to get my synopsis tight and build a chapter-by-chapter blow of the book (some places want this).

For publishing credits, I'm not going to push novellas as hard as I did short stories. If I find them a home, great, but I'm going to be modest with myself and shoot to get 2 novellas published in print. Short stories will fall where they may, but I want to try and get my novellas in print. Mag or anthology, I don't care.

Those are my goals for the year. What are yours?

choppy
January 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Wow Maus99 - congratulations on a successful year! Even if you didn't meet all of your goals, I think you accomplished a lot, and as you noted, finding your "voice" may just have been the most significant.

I have a pretty big 2005 lined up myself. Here are my goals.
1. Marry the love of my life.
2. Successfully defend a Ph.D. thesis.
3. Start a career (or as many people would call it - a "real" job).
4. Turn 30.

Maybe those first four are cheating a little. The fourth point is rather unavoidable.

But with respect to writing:
Finish at least one novel. Edit it. And submit it for publication. Finishing has always been a problem of mine and I plan to gut something out this year. I'm going to aim to finish three.

I put together a couple short stories last year. I'm going to try a couple more, polish them off, and submit them as well.

Rocket Sheep
January 6th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Well done, Maus. Shoot for the moon and if you miss you're still in the stars.

Me 2004: Had one book, two short stories and one er... article published (2 paper, 2 web). Attended 2 cons, did 3 courses and a six week Clarion, joined 2 new writers' groups and purchased a .com.

It was a year of consolidation and a year of networking and I did good for a someone who is naturally a bit reclusive.

2005 I'm going for the YA novellete publication. Already got 9 shorts at publishers awaiting news and very hopeful for half of those. Trying to build up the royalties on children's books for a steady income stream. Specifics... hmmm... harder to focus on numbers. Going to send out 4 more adult shorts, already drafted but trying to focus on the children's market this year.

Drew
January 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
You guys are killing me!

Congrats to all of you on your published or non-published successes!

Me: This last year has been a bit hectic on many levels. Began college, went through two semesters already. Had some health concerns both of mine and my families. It has been a tough year, but this year looks ot be shaping up nicely.

My goal for writing: Finish something. Anything! Short, novella, or even a novelette length writing. I haven't finished a story in a few years since I was writing highly derivative peices based off of the last movie or book I viewed. A very achievable, but noble goal in my terms. I am hoping that once I break the ice with a finshed peice then I can gain a bit of esteem and move on and get something else down. Finding my voice, well we can save that for next year. ;)

Jacquin
January 7th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Well, last year I didn't finishe the novel I've been working on for years, I didn't complete NaNoWriMo, I didn't get any short stories published and I completely failed to write anywhere near as much as I should. I did however get a poem published, so I suppose I broke my duck.

This year I will double the size of my novel, maybe even finish it. I will also (not being even close to as prolific as Maus) write 30 short stories and submit them all. I will also have a factual article published.

Good god it looks scary when I write it down...

J

P.S. Maus, I owe you an email, look out for it this morning.

juzzza
January 7th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Well, 2004 for me, was all about Music. That news is not relevant here so I will focus on writing.

I had one print success, and the magazine ships this month (I think).

I have two other stories with print mags, waiting for an answer. Both magazines are my Moby Dicks... I have been chasing them for years and have scars from our last encounters.

More importantly for me, I spent two or three months really planning my novel. Using an adapted version of the Snowflake process, I got to know my characters really well and now understand their motivations, plots within my novel and their epiphanies. I have also done a high level chapter outline and know broadly where I am going but the Snowflake has changed many times and I think it will continue to be a working document rather than a rigid plan, like ALL good plans. I have also written two new chapters for the novel, which are not even mentioned in the Snowflake and mean I have to think about the implications further on, as they are HUGE. LOL, I love writing.

My goals are, to write my thesis so I am a MASTER in something... Cool. And complete my novel mentioned above, and get it off to a hot contact at Penguin, who has agreed to read it without an agent, and ahead of the pile (that is priceless and was a key success for 2004).

I have no aspirations for short stories at all and will probably not write anything new, although I will try and finish/polish some of the promising ones I have created of late. This year is year of the novel in the Thorne household.

On a side note and a goal I have no real control over, it is more a desire, I would like to see Holbrook and Abby get those deals they are so close to nailing. I would also like to see Gemquest do really well upon release in Feb, having read the first already I am sure this will be a winner.

All the best everyone for 2005.

Holbrook
January 7th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Goal... survive and see 2006!

Seriously; my health this year has been not so good, if I am honest I tend to now measure a good day when I don't have to take a heavy dose pain killer. I take one day at a time, see what happens and move on from there.

I am taking a college course at the moment (my employer says I must) so a chunk of my spare time is taken up with that. Both the home (still doing alterations) and the family (teenagers/young adults take up more time than little'uns) eat away at more of it.

Life is busy, far more so than two or three years ago....

Last year I didn't write anything new of any great length.

Did quite a bit of collab work with HE, Richard, Juzzza, Jadziel, Dawnstorm, Expendable etc... This helped me try out ideas, ways of writing, POV etc.. all good learning, ALL GREAT FUN! And I will do more this year, time permitting.

And one special thing happened this time last year.... HE and I managed to get this done and out there. It got some damn good comments and and reviews....

http://www.equilibriumbooks.com/seventhreads.htm

Spent a good few months editing my two novels and getting them under the noses of agents and publishers. Will these so close deals become reality; "shrugs shoulders" don't know. Juzzza has more faith than I ;) If it happens I will deal with it and take it one day at a time.

Hopes for this year, better health (And I know what I have to do to help this happen.) Steering my youngest through the hell that are GCSE exams and her choices for A levels, which will set part of path for the next 5 years of her life.

Being there for the eldest, as she plunges into the end of her second year at Uni.

Celebrating 30 years of marriage to the same man…

As to writing this is the difficult one, it depends a lot of what happens with the two novels. If I find myself plunged into being published, then it will depend how much time I have to write anything new. I do want to write a new novel, one that has been bubbling for 12 months in rough chapters. It has something, but lacks more, needs to be thought on. Then again both the others were the same, Hat Man was the result of linking three story ideas with the character of Albert, once Albert got in there things began to work. The monster, my epic fantasy, was the same. It had about 12 months of false starts before it began to come together. Seems to be a pattern there lol….

For others I hope 2005 brings you your dreams…

mistri
January 7th, 2005, 07:31 AM
2004 was a time of change (moving house to a different area, changing jobs, etc) and I didn't get much of the way of writing done apart from a handful of short stories and half of my WIP (written in Nanowrimo).

In 2005 my goals are:

1) Finish at least one of my two half-finished novels.
2) Edit/revise said novel
3) Start submitting novel to agents

4) finish off another novel and follow steps above
5) start another novel during November, for Nanowrimo (as long as I'm not burnt out by this point)

6) polish up my most promising short stories and submit them

The most important goal is number one. I have no idea if I'll make it or not.

Sammie
January 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
2004? Not sure I have a lot to show for it materially, but I definitely learned a few things. I learned that I can catch a plane on my own (it matters, ok!), that I should NOT take pills with hormones in, and that it was worth putting up with 2003 (which was not great). 2004 was a big year for me, as it set me to questioning a lot of my desires for the future. Plan is, 2005, to work towards those goals (both new and reaffirmed :D).

Writing-wise: by the end of 05 I want to have drafted out the whole of the fantasy novel I have been fiddling with for nearly 3 years now, and at least planned out and begun to write one of the several sf novel-length-potential ideas I have. I want to finish the 2 short stories I have started that I feel have potential, and tidy up the one I have already finished, and I want to submit all three to somewhere and see what happens!

Long-term plan wise, I want to run a fund-raising campaign (more on that later/elsewhere), sell a HUGE pile of jewellery, and support my boyfriend while he turns his business into the HUGE success that will later support me in the manner to which I wish to become accustomed.

Most importantly of all though, this June I sit my finals and will (fingers crossed), finally, after nearly ten years of bloody hard work, become a Doctor!!!! :D

(Which should, in time, lead to me being published in a rather different arena...)

Jamza1986
January 8th, 2005, 04:06 AM
My goal this year is to finish two novels, and try to get an agent.