View Full Version : Writer's Obssessions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Drew
January 6th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Is there anything in your writing that you are obssessed about? Perhaps a certain setting or character that you keep pushing and pushing, trying to get something out?

Take me for example, I have started several stories using the same character. He is a private detective, and I just keep changing the stories around him trying to make him fit in somewhere. I'm obssessed with having a private detective story!

Am I alone here, or do any of you pursue the same element until it works!?

Abby
January 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM
You're not alone with the obession thing. I have yet to make mine really work, though . . .

Crieum
January 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM
It's not just you.

I once wrote a story where a wizard meets this scary looking kid in a forest and the kid gives him this strange little book.

The story changed many times and eventually the part with the scary kid didn't really fit in

Even though it didn't fit, I must have wrote ten different versions of that chapter trying to MAKE the kid fit in.

TheEarCollector
January 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I think I am obsessed with hobos and bums...
"Will Fight For Food" is my most notable instance of this obsession since hobos and bums, being paid in food, are fighting for control of suburban neighborhoods.
I also had a story where the government is stealing hobos to do testing on them... Mostly because nobody would miss the hobos.
I liked the movie "The Game" where they hunt hobos...

Ok I have a hobo obsession ;)

butterfly
January 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Nope you are definitely not alone.

I have a couple of obsessions both with characters, objects and places.
The character is a guy called Rich, who is obsessed with drinking to blot out the dreams/visions he receives. He has popped up in the most unusual places.
Plus there is always a moment when the main character contemplates the sea. Think its my personality that emerges there.

TheEarCollector
January 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I have an obsession with orange sanded deserts too...

James Barclay
January 11th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Backing up my work. I am utterly paranoid about losing stuff. I never leave the house without copies of all work in progress on a little USB jump drive thingy. I also don't throw away any printouts until publication day. Just in case...

NOM

Gregorius_H
January 15th, 2005, 03:45 AM
I have this obsession where I try to insert this kind of altered version of myself into as many different stories as possible. His name is James Martin and well... he's the most boring character on earth and when he should be off saving the girl he's trying to prove to some random guy on the street that he doesn't exist...

I also seem obsessed with destroying this altered version of my home town as many times as possible... but perhaps I should leave that one for a psychiatrist.

Jacquin
January 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Backing up my work. I am utterly paranoid about losing stuff. I never leave the house without copies of all work in progress on a little USB jump drive thingy. I also don't throw away any printouts until publication day. Just in case...

NOM

Now that is a worthwhile obsession! The hard drive died on my laptop a little while ago taking about half of my writing with it. Thankfully I had backed up the rest...

J

Holbrook
January 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I had one obsession which lasted for over six years.

Six years ago in my naivety I thought I could write a novel. I had a simple idea, or so I thought. I was stupid; the idea wasn’t simple it was a ticking bomb which blew my life apart. It changed me, changed my family. It brought as much pain as pleasure to all of us. Lost me friends and gained me new ones.

I became obsessed with every small detail of this tale. I spent days researching even the smallest item I wanted to include. I made a good dozen false starts and believe I deleted thousands and thousands of words. I stripped it down to the bones, tried to make it fit into some sort of pre-conceived pattern we are told first novels are supposed to be. I killed it dead. I grieved and buried it.

BUT the story dragged me back, again and again. It got dug up time after time. I went back to the original first draft and began again, more than once I might add. I hated it and loved it at the same time. The words I had written were innocent. Of a time before I got swamped by the mechanics of writing, the dos and don’ts. YET these words held a passion and power that I have only at the odd time since matched. Times when I have let myself go and wrote from the heart.

This novel is all around me in this study, in the historical research books on my shelves, the lever arch files of notes and hard copies of email conversations with people from all round the world. From drawings stuck on my notice board and the swords tucked away safely behind me.

I laid this obsession to rest in December, when I realised that for now the tale, for me at least is told. I had written the tale I had set out to write and the “market” be damned. It is my “epic” no matter what happens to it, it is done and over this part of it anyway.

I have written a number of stories since and started a lot more. Only now and then I have felt the same obsession about what I am writing. In a way I am frightened of feeling it again and not having the time to plunge into it in the same way. I was lucky, you see, during the first three years of my previous obsession I wasn’t working. I had the time to spend the hours in research, I could spend days working on a few pages, inching the characters into life.