View Full Version : A question about The Princess Bride movie:

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zsinj16
April 15th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Well, I saw the movie The Princess Bride last night on tv for the first time, it was okay, nothing special really. It had some pretty funny parts in it though.
I have a question reguarding this movie?
Now in the Princess Bride the main hero (I forgey the dude's name) is tortured by the sadistic Count on a torture device called simply: "The Machine".
Now here is my question, since this torture device was said by the count to "suck the life force out of people", how did it exactly go about sucking out their life forces? I mean, sure it had suction tubes, but how can you suck out one's life force with just suction tubes? The only way I can think of is by the Machine being blessed by some kind of dark magic?
And I also have one other question referring to the Machine: Why when Prince Humperdink set the lever to the fiftieth level, did the hero scream out in two or three voices at the same time in stead of one? I mean, I know he was obviously in a lot of excruciating pain, but why did he cry out in multiple voices?
Could somebody here please answer these questions for me?

Keyoke
April 15th, 2002, 05:36 PM
The Machine.. Well, I don't think it actually sucked the life force out of anyone. Like old times, they misunderstood the nature of technology. I think the machine simply generated a electrical charge, which when applied, caused intense pain. As to why they may have thought it sucked out the life force? Beats me.. Maybe because all your muscles are contradicting..

Though, I like the dark magic idea too. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

As to the multiple voices, beats me, dont remember that part..

Keyoke

mul
April 16th, 2002, 04:00 AM
The Machine did suck the life-force out of its victims. This functions on the same level as ruby slippers, rings of power, the game of Quiddich (sp?)and "beam me up Scotty.". It is all make believe - a fairy tale. Anything goes, and you buy into it, or you do not.
As for the "voices". I believe this is a result of several scene cuts while Wesley is cranked up to "level 50". Different characters in different locations are hearing his screams at different pitch levels. So what did you think of the the "R.O.U.S's"?

Zsinj16
April 16th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Uh, what are the R.O.U.S.'s?

mul
April 16th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Rodents Of Unusual Size http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

Nathan Carter
April 16th, 2002, 07:01 AM
I remember seeing this movie and enjoying it immensely, though I forget specificly about The Machine.

Also, I think at the time I saw it, I liked anything with Andre the Giant in it.

Oh, and Columbo! Wasn't Columbo in this movie?

Nathan Carter
April 16th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Columbo rocks man!

mul
April 16th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Yes - Columbo was reading the book "Princess Bride" to Fred Savage. Columbo was a lot cooler than Wonder Years thats for sure.

kassimir funk
April 16th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Columbo for president!!!

Nathan Carter
April 16th, 2002, 09:29 AM
I think Columbo guest starred on The Wonder Years one time, and solved the mystery of why the show sucked so bad... because it wasn't Columbo!

No, but seriously... that stinkin show ran forever... and by the time Savage hit his twenties, he sounded nothing like Daniel Stern... so the show was as confusing and unbelievable as that talk show they gave to Magic Johnson...