PDA

View Full Version : Is the Gamecube and Nintendo dead?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

kater
January 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM
With recent reports that Bill Gates tried to buy Nintendo is that the end for Gamecube and Nintendo? Is there a place for their style of gaming in the industry still?

Bitter Buffalo
January 10th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I don't think Nintendo is as bad off as people say. GBA and DS are still doing great and Gamecube is still the leader in the kid market, and people are always making new kids. ;)

People that dis Nintendo are usually Xbox/PS2 fanboys would hate the GC cause there's no blood and naked chicks. The question is, as those people grow up and start families will they want to buy a GC for their kids and a Xbox for themselves? Probably not.

JamesL
January 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Having both a Gamcube and an X-BOX I have to say that while they are both good consoles, the X-BOX edges it due to having a wider range of 'mature' games. I love games like Zelda, Mario Kart, etc but I want to play more mature games too (Thief, Halo, etc...)

I think Nintendo needs to embrace online gaming to keep in competition because PS2 is far and away the most popular console, and Cube and BOX were roughly equal until BOX went Live and Halo 2 came out.

Still, Nintendo does have a monopoly on the hand-held market.

saintjon
January 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM
If I want more mature games than are available for GameCube (and if you look there isn't really a shortage of those) then I get 'em on PC. Really though, I'm finding overall a lot of the more "edgy" PS2 or X-box titles aren't a hell of a lot of fun. The bulk of the hyped titles seem to be cinemafests you can beat in 15 hours or so. Boo-urns.

Edit: as far as online gaming goes, you can have it. Fail to see how anonymous arseholes yippin at each other all the time makes a game more fun.

Solaar
January 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM
My local woolworths have stopped selling Gamecube games...

Solaar
is it a hint of things to come?

Return_of_the_V
January 12th, 2005, 03:41 PM
ya but the cube being online wouldn't really be a smart deal for NINTENDO, i mean look at the cubes general target audience, what would young kids care of competitive play anyhow! Although there are a few mature games for the GC, the more much more pleasant mature games are only available for the PS2 and the X, like MGS 3 for example! (What a great game! :D ) The main difference to keep in mind between X-BOX + PS2 and the CUBE is that the first tend to focus more on deep stories, clean graphics and tactical gameplay, while the latter focuses color, variations and fun/active multi-plyr gameplay, compare the final fantasies for example, FFX had a great story+ graphics + strategic backgrounds but lacks the funky freshness many other games have (like MGS 3!), while FF:CC has multi player, variation as well as a trace of funky freshness that makes games real eminent in the gaming world.

But as for the topic question, Famicom (nintendo) aint goin' nowhere, with zeldas and metroids popping out from time to time and the hopes of them making a quality 3D pokemon rpg (Ruby/sapphire/Fire Red/Leaf Green style, none of that colloseum crap) they'll be in business for life (At least our lifetimes anyways) if they do start to go downhill, they wont sell out to Bill,they'd first provider online capabilities (It exists now, its just rare) then they'll work their asses off to Haloize metroid and/or bring the pokemon franchise back to life with a good MMORPG allowing you to immerse yourself in the pokemon world as you rather than the voiceless wonders you always play as.

Monty Mike
January 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM
^ that's a damn good analysis right there

Solaar
January 12th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Gotta love the cube thou. Time Splitters 2? Pure brilliance.

Solaar
a fan

kater
January 12th, 2005, 05:50 PM
But as for the topic question, Famicom (nintendo) aint goin' nowhere, with zeldas and metroids popping out from time to time and the hopes of them making a quality 3D pokemon rpg (Ruby/sapphire/Fire Red/Leaf Green style, none of that colloseum crap) they'll be in business for life (At least our lifetimes anyways) if they do start to go downhill, they wont sell out to Bill,they'd first provider online capabilities (It exists now, its just rare) then they'll work their asses off to Haloize metroid and/or bring the pokemon franchise back to life with a good MMORPG allowing you to immerse yourself in the pokemon world as you rather than the voiceless wonders you always play as.

I have to disagree :) Sega not so long ago was in the same position, it had a small but loyal following, a games console that wasn't competitive in the market place and a few strong franchises that people thought would keep the company afloat. Nintendo's appeal to younger gamers is their weakness, as clever and innovative as their games are, the general childishness - bright colours and gimmicks doesn't appeal to the current market monster demographic of the mid-20's gamer with plenty of spare cash. This segment of the market will go predominantly for edgy games with deep stories and a more adult content. Added to which the appeal of new technologies, bluetooth, DVD (boy did Nintendo miss the boat there) MP3 etc will far out sell Nintendo's gaming innovations. Consumers are essentially looking for a multi-media package out of a games console and with the approcahing announcements of PS3 and X-Box 2 blatantly attempting to out do each other there is a great concern I believe Nintendo simply can't compete. Compared to the corporate power of Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is struggling, added to which the Playstation and X-Box user bases are massive, X-Box alone will have sold 20 million units by february worldwide. Reports are that if GTA: San Andreas sells 15 million copies worldwide, something quite achievable, it will make more money than Titanic did at the box office! Nintendo's low-budget approach simply isn't going to carry weight, especially with no sign of a next-gen console on the way. I fully expect to see them follow Sony down the software-only route soon, because if nothing else they do have killer app :)

saintjon
January 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Um, bringing out Squaresoft as an example does little to sway me these days. They want to try to get back into nintendo market by throwing out what I've heard is a fundamentally crappy game then boo-urns to them. Everybody makes so much noise about square-enix, meanwhile Namco gives the Cube a brilliant full-blown, innovative rpg in the form of Tales of Symphonia and I hardly hear anyone say boo about it. I don't think the situation is such a total mirror of Sega's as you may think either. Dreamcast had an arseload of games out for it during it's short life didn't it?

I think Nintendo just needs to appeal to more developers. There is none of this big stigma coming from nintendo about mature games on their platform as many people seem to think. The really weird thing is I know plenty of people my age who own cubes, love them and even owning the system buy into this idea that no one will make these supposedly really awesome "deep" (??? no depth on Cube? yeah right) "graphically cleaner" (still haven't seen an X-box game that looks any better than Cube's graphics and PS2 just has no comparison on most of it's games, case in point: MGS remake on Cube looks better than the new MGS 3 what the deuce?) and "more mature" (what exactly was mature about GTA again? oh yeah, same thing as Mortal Kombat)

Really I think the problem started back on Super Nintendo (best system ever) when people just managed to not notice that when the ratings system started there were tons of bloody games and crap like that on SNES. Carry that over to the N-64, when the developers got sick of paying large fees to develop on Nintendo's platform and jumped ship to Sony, well now people are saying with complete conviction that nintendo isn't interested in mature games when it was really a bad business decision. I had one friend who honestly believe there were no games on N-64 that showed blood until I got him to try the gorefest that was turok 2. Now the Cube's out, developers are coming back (I would like to again curse the idiots at Square-enix who gave us Crystal Chronicle though), you have a competitively priced potent little bastard of a platform with the best controllers ever and people are still hung up on this "no mature games" with nintendo thing, so the developers like rockstar stick to where they are and really they're wise to do so.

Really Nintendo's about as strong as we want it to be. Unfortunately lately that hasn't been very much. What have I missed out on with my Cube anyways? DVD playing that has lead to quite a few friends complaining about their machines frying on them (not to mention that most of them end up getting a separate dvd player anyways). Online play with all the rude bastardism that brings. A whole slew of really edgy, cool games that look damn pretty and are over before you can realize how easy they are to beat. And then the next one comes out and it's even edgier and cooler! Wow!

So if anyone still has any doubts (lol) I"m not too happy about the whole console thing right now. All 3 of the ones currently available are fine machines, I just don't like people harping on Cube, it's been some of the best video game money I've ever spent and sometimes I care more about having fun than seeing the latest cool bishamon protagonist slaughtering enemies by the hundreds.

In closing I want to say that trying to have a console where everyone can enjoy it is not the same as having a console just for kids.