View Full Version : Battle Sims

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

juzzza
January 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM
With the arrival of my shiny new Laptop, I think it is time to have a crack at one of the battle sims for PC.

I am stuck choosing between The Battle For Middle Earth as I love LOTR, and Medievil: Total War... Opinions Gents? (and ladies).

Erfael
January 11th, 2005, 11:09 AM
So don't even wait for what we have to say after you ask us a question. I would have weighted in on M:TW if you're interested in good battle mechanics.

juzzza
January 12th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I'm still interested in your opinions Erfael, but no, I don't mess around.

I played for six straight hours last night, I love it, incredible stuff. The battle engine is great, I am so addicted it is untrue!!! I am still messing around with skirmishes at the moment, but it is brilliant the way you have to build resource factories before you can train your men (or birth them in the case of the Uruks!!!)

My God I can't believe sims never interested me before, what was I thinking!!!

I will buy M:TW too anyway.

Is there a good sim featuring samurai and ninjas?

kahnovitch
January 12th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Is there a good sim featuring samurai and ninjas?

Shogun Total War.

juzzza
January 12th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Awesome thanks mate, I will get that after Medievil: Total War.

Um, is there an aliens/robot sci fi type sim?

As you can appreciate, I love the concept of sims and am now simply hoping I can find the armies to suit my tastes :D

Erfael
January 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Just some background, Juzz.

There are three Total War games out now. And instead of making units like you do in LOTR that you're playing now, you build armies and such in a strategic setting and then bring them into battle as entire units rather than one or two people grouped. So you'll end up having, say two groups of fifty archers and two groups of 1 hundred cavalry and a group of spearmen who you can set to different formations and such. So it's a slightly different kind of game than you're playing now with LOTR.

And there are three of them. Shogun, Medieval, and Rome. Rome is the newest and most flashy. The other two, I have played, and it's great fun to go bashing a hole in the side of a castle in Medieval and then plowing your shock troops through with support from your archers. Great fun, all around.

Return_of_the_V
January 12th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Shogun Total War.
Now that is an immense game, me and my friend use to play that for days on end! But that being the first total war i've played, after getting to love it so much as i did, i kinda prefer it to those newer Rome:total war and Medival:total war's.....Just the funky japanese feel i guess.

juzzza
January 12th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Just some background, Juzz.

There are three Total War games out now. And instead of making units like you do in LOTR that you're playing now, you build armies and such in a strategic setting and then bring them into battle as entire units rather than one or two people grouped. So you'll end up having, say two groups of fifty archers and two groups of 1 hundred cavalry and a group of spearmen who you can set to different formations and such. So it's a slightly different kind of game than you're playing now with LOTR.

And there are three of them. Shogun, Medieval, and Rome. Rome is the newest and most flashy. The other two, I have played, and it's great fun to go bashing a hole in the side of a castle in Medieval and then plowing your shock troops through with support from your archers. Great fun, all around.

Oh Cool!!! Thanks Erfael that is actually good news as whilst I love the LOTR sim, I would get bored eventually if it was simply different characters/races. That sounds good, I would like to work on complete strategy and see how things transpire, rather than the small units as I am now.

Thanks for that, I will get Shogun first to learn the craft, then check out Medievil.

kahnovitch
January 12th, 2005, 11:01 AM
The Total War series is awesome. I have Medieval and Shogun, plus expansion packs.
BTW get the "Warlords Edition" of Shogun ( I picked it up for 3 second hand)and try to get the double box set of Medieval Viking Invasion, as it adds a lot to the game and gives you an alternative scenario of the British Isles during the dark ages.

saintjon
January 12th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I have Shogun but I've never sat and played it as much as it deserved. Strapped for time lately so I don't know when I"ll get a chance to remedy that.

I like playing the turn-based fantasy war strategy games more though really. Like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is probably the best sample of this style of game made so far. Me and my various friends have killed many an hour (and more than few beers) over this one.