PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman - What's the verdict?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

vortexreader
May 5th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Some of you lot from the US must have seen it by now? What did you think?

Alucard
May 5th, 2002, 10:51 PM
I was disappointed.

I was hoping, with Sam Raimi directing the film, a Bruce Campbell cameo, and William Defoe as the villain, it would have been better. Because I like Sam Raimi, and there were parts of the film where you could see his influence, but not nearly enough. And, after seeing Defoe in Shadow of a Vampire (where he was friggin' amazing), I was really disappointed that they hid him behind a mask. Defoe is great as a villain, and a large part of this is because of his facial expressions. But he was hidden behind behind a mask most of the time, and a poorly designed one at that. Also, the dialogue was, for the most part, just awful. I understand that they are making a film from a comic, and maybe they wanted it to be cheesy, but it didn't really appeal to me.

But the movie wasn't all bad. It had a few good moments. There weren't very many of them, but every once in a while it would come through. And Elfman did a good job with the soundtrack. But, my final verdict is, when it comes to movies being made from comics, I'll take Tim Burton any day.

Rob B
May 6th, 2002, 07:23 AM
I thought it was very, very good. Possibly the best comic-book adaption.

I was a little leery of Tobey Maguire playing Spidey, in his interviews he came across lifeless and dull, but he really pulled off the part.

Some scenes were pulled directly from the comics.

I thought the soundtrack was a bit blah.

Nathan Carter
May 6th, 2002, 10:07 AM
I went in into the theater not expecting very much... all the trailors looked cheezy and overdone with effects and nothing more... I was, however, very pleased with the results.

My bigest concern was that they would kill the character and story... instead, they followed the comic book almost exactly. Stan Lee reserved all rights on this film, as well he should have... when lending your product out, you always maintain complete control over its marketing.

Raimi has never dissappointed me, though I do agree with Alucard in that his influence was a bit lesser. However, I am surprised that you didn't catch Bruce Campbell as the wrestling announcer that gives Spiderman his name. They made him look different, but it was obvious I thought. You should know that in any Raimi production he's going to employ his friends and family... his brother was the newspaper asst.

The characterazation was perfect, though I still feel Toby simply does not make a good Parker, and an even worse Spiderman. Jameson was right on the money... now, Mary Jane, she was much more self absorbed in the comics... she almost has depth in this movie... not entirely bad.

Warewolf
May 6th, 2002, 10:32 AM
I thought they did a very good job. There were a couple of nit-picky things that bothered me (MJ living next door, organic web shooters), but they were just things that us fanboys would catch.

I thought Maguire did a very credible job as Peter/Spidey. The costume was excellent. The goblin's costume, however, kinda put me off. Dafoe did do a good job as the villain, though. The supporting cast was great and whoever it was that played JJJ pulled it off beautifully.

I have to disagree with Alucard's calling the dialogue cheesy, though. I saw no cheesiness at all. Sure, it won't be nominated for any Oscars, but it was still well written.

And it was the little things that made the movie: Peter trying to learn how to get his webs to hit where he wanted, learning how to swing on those webs gracefully, stuff like that.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the sequel...

Alucard
May 6th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Nathan, I did notice Cambpell as the wrestling announcer, which I why I said, with a cameo from him, along with Raimi and Defoe, I thought I would have liked it more. I know that part of my problem is that I'm too much of a critic for my own good. But I still didn't buy the dialogue. The Family scenes were about as forced as they come, and, for better or for worse, it spoke like a comic book throughout. Just my opinion though. And Maguire has always bothered me a little. He has what I call "Jerry Sienfeld Syndrome." Meaning, he always has a slight smirk on his face, regardless of his emotion. This probably sounds nitpicky, but it's always bothered me. And I really don't understand why they masked Defoe like that. I mean, they didn't even need any make up. He already looks like the green goblin. (And, if you haven't seen shadow of a vampire yet, you should. Defoe was brilliant in that).

"I thought it was very, very good. Possibly the best comic-book adaption."

Better than the first two Batman films?

Nathan Carter
May 6th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Forgive me Al, I read your initial post to read that you expected a Campbell cameo since Raimi directed. My fault... bad eyes(or bad brains one).

I actually thought it was reminiscent of the original Batman flick by Burton...(could have been the Elfman effect) it also reminded me of those old Superman movies with Christipher Reeves... it did indeed resemble a comic book, and I felt it should have. <shrugs>

I wholely agree with Defoe and that stupid mask... I found him much more frightningly entertaining in the close up shots without his mask... and that evil laugh! Perfect! He's gotta be one of the creepiest looking guys without even having to try... Shadow of the Vampire was excellent, "I'll eat her later"

Now for the important question... who WAS that who played JJJ?? I was with a group that didn't want to stick around for the credits... he looked so familiar, I was thinking the guy from WKRP... uh... Howard Hessman? I dont know... oh yeah... I'm on the stinkin internet for cryin out loud... I guess I could look it up.

Rob B
May 6th, 2002, 12:07 PM
I thought the first Batman film was pretty good, but I hated they way they changed the costume and intertwined the origins of Bats and Joker.

The second Batflick, I thought, was pretty crappy, I thought it was TOO hokey, even for a comic book movie. I actually liked the third one better.

The guy who played JJJ is on OZ.

hclark
May 6th, 2002, 01:26 PM
The guy's name was JK Simmons.

I thought it was great! Of course I knew nothing about Spiderman going in. I'd never read the comic, or even the comic strip. My husband, who is a big fan, said it was a wonderful adaptation and very true to the comic.

Carmichael
May 6th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Saw it Sunday night...

That rocked! That was the best damn movie I have seen in a long, long time.

They showed a real short trailer for the Incredible Hulk flick coming next summer... Looks interesting....

Carmichael