PDA

View Full Version : Kid's Agents

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pdb
January 13th, 2005, 10:11 AM
I have just finished a children's story in rhyme (it's not what I would call poetry).

It is 38 verses, each 8 lines long.

I was thinking that there would be one verse per page, with whatever illustrations a publisher sees fit to put in there.

The age group is aimed at my own children who are 6 and 8, but it would probably be suitable for a little older than that too.

My question is, where can I find a list of UK Agents for this kind of thing?

Solaar
January 13th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Other than scouring the internet, check out The Writer and Artists yearbooks.

Failing that, there's a guy called juzzza on this forum who usually knows all about this sort of thing.

Go hunt him down.

Solaar
and his recommendation

Rocket Sheep
January 13th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I think you need to go directly to the publishers. If this is the only thing you've ever written and you don't have anything else up your sleeve, an agent won't touch you. Who wants 10% of a first book when they don't usually make money?

First check that the meter is dead perfect and lay it out in the standard 32/36 (or whatever it is) page spread, then go to the bookstore and scour the kids section to see who is actually publishing rhyming stories. Don't bother sending it to someone who doesn't, publishers either love or loath rhyme. Then you will have your publisher, or look in the latest publishers' marketplace book, which you will probably have to go to anyway to get their address, the editors name, and find out if they take unsolicited submissions.

pdb
January 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've found an agent I would like to submit to, and a back up list too

I'll let you know how it goes.

If I have trouble finding an agent I take the sheep's advice and try a publisher:)

Jacquin
January 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I'd seriously consider taking the sheep's advice anyway. That is her job you know...

J

Rocket Sheep
January 14th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Aww, who'd listen to a sheep bleating.

In the words of Teresa Neilsen Hayden "If you don't
have an offer [from a publisher], you don't want the kind of agent you're likely to get."

For anyone looking for agents, Neil Gaiman recently passed the same question over to Teresa Neilsen Hayden and published her response in his blog.

Scroll down to Jan 11:
Neil Gaiman's Blog (http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/journal.asp)

Holbrook
January 15th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Sheep is right; The agent looking at my monster manuscript is doing so based on a number of factors, one being I have had very positive feedback from publishers on my work. The agent had also previously read my work, liked my writing style and pushed for a more "adult" story... Maybe the monster is it, I haven't got a clue. But it was a lucky opening I was given and if it works it works, if it doesn't least I have got that far...

In the end, your call, better to submit than just think about it. The more you submit, the more you learn. The more you learn the more you realise this is a mug's game. ROFL!

pdb
January 15th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys,

I've decided to at least give one agent a try, while I'm waititng I'll start submitting to publishers to. Sort of keep two rods in the pond.

And sheepie, I wasn't ignoring your advice, just trying to give myself the best odds. Thanks, the advice is sound.