PDA

View Full Version : New to the board, Hello all.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

KATS
December 19th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Wow, just found this site and it looks great. There doesnít seem to be a lot of traffic on this board (writing board) though. Are most of you hobby writers or are you seriously attempting to get published? Iím somewhere in between. I am seriously attempting to get published, but I donít anticipate having anything ready for a few years (unless I win the lottery or something and can write full time).

Badger
December 19th, 2000, 12:01 PM
Hello and welcome! I understand completely about the lack of time to write on top of a full-time job and a family. Hopefully, I will one day see my name in print. The main thing is persistence, and that I have in abundance. Good luck to you and Happy Holidays!

The Badger

cassandra
January 5th, 2001, 09:03 AM
KATS:
Amen to winning the lottery and getting out of the 9-5 grind to write fulltime!

pooh
January 5th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Well, I've been trying to break into traditional publishing, but so far only one fellow has had the insight and good taste to publish my work. Ahem thanks Dag.

Typical response from agents: interesting story, but too long for a first-time writer.

It's enough to make one seriously cynical.

Not to mention disheartened.

Pluvious
January 6th, 2001, 08:01 PM
I'm serious about getting published. Right now I'm doing research to broaden my knowledge base though. I think Fantasy writing needs more research done than most other writing subjects.

wolfgang
January 7th, 2001, 02:50 AM
I am dead serious about making writing my career. Although there are other things I would like to do along with it like Law and Computer Programming, writing is the one I am most focused on.

pooh
January 12th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Hm I read somewhere the following advice:

If anything can distract you from writing, let it. If nothing can, keep at it and you will succeed.

The only part I question is the last part.

wynnyelle
January 14th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Basically I work nine to five and write on the side, and I sure don't get enough sleep. I have never tried to publish my work because I am honest with myself and know it isn't good enough yet. When it is, I will give it a try. For now I am working on my fourth project (have finished only three others in ten years, the rest weren't worth finishing). My problem has mainly been delusions about my work. I think I'm writing something amazing, but when I read it it puts me to sleep. When I edit it, it puts me to sleep even faster. For some reason, those marvelous metaphors that describe scenes with a great scythe of insight just don't come to me. Until I've figured out how other writers do it I'm consigned to amateur status (Any tips of course would be welcome!)

wastra
January 15th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Welcome, Kats!
I've had a couple of short stories published min what now seems like the distant past. I stopped writing for everal years when the job got to be too time-consuming to write on the side, and I'm trying to get the feel back. I've noticed that the more often you write, the easier it is to write further, and the more creative that writing will be. I am currently working on a second novel (the first one was crap), and i might try to get it published eventually, but it is several years away.

Anyway, welcome to the board!

KATS
January 15th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Thanks all. I too took time off from writing, mostly anyway. I spent a few years painting and drawing, another passion of mine. I guess, itís just time for me to start writing again. At least my stories are fresh to me now. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif