View Full Version : Opening Lines

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Solaar
January 16th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Ok, we've all written something at some point. Even I've knocked up a shopping list somewhere... but what's your favourite opening line? Either one you've written or one you've read.

Here's mine from the story I'm currently trying to push out of my pen...

Telling twelve year old Sarah Purton that her father was dead was a shitty part of sheriff Spiller's job.

Telling her that he'd fired the eight shots point blank to drop the f****r who had almost torn out his deputy's throat was something he'd have to omit.

Right, who's next?

Solaar
passing the baton

Edited by Jacquin - Weilding the Tippex

Holbrook
January 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM
"The bitterness of Mulicifer’s existence echoed in the tapping of his steel shod heels, each perverted rap on the cobbles reminding him that he lived. His shoulders were stooped with a weight of anger, which had welded him into a warped tool ill tempered with harsh regret."

There you go...

Monty Mike
January 16th, 2005, 03:37 PM
These are among the first lines in Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny....

His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god. But then, he never claimed not to be a god. Circumstances being what they were, neither admission could be of any benefit. Silence, though, could.

TheEarCollector
January 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM
"My life is falling apart, one success at a time."

Personal Favorite

MrBF1V3
January 16th, 2005, 06:38 PM
This is from a novel I wrote about ten years ago and sits in my file cabinet to this day. . .

"God hates me," he said breathlessly.

Shudder ;)

B5

Solaar
January 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Hell, now I want to read the rest of everyone's stories!!

Solaar
the enticed

juzzza
January 18th, 2005, 05:09 AM
From Eaters of Death

There are monsters in this world. They are all around us and they do not hide under our beds and they do not fear the daylight. Unlike the ghouls created in Hollywood, or the creatures conjured up by great literary minds, the real monsters have no rules to follow, no fear of silver bullets, no allergic reaction to holy water and unfortunately for us, no end of replacements should one fall.

From Dotted Line

"It is your choice but do not forget that you will die at exactly the same moment in time, whatever you decide. If you ask me, you would have to be mad to turn this down, but then I must point out the downside again, just to make sure you understand the consequences of your decision."

From Monkey Puzzle

I am a defence lawyer. I am twenty-eight years old, I am single and I have a mediocre apartment and a dog that slobbers over everything.

Jacquin
January 18th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Disturbed - To be honest I was quite surprised when he started screaming again. It wasn’t that I didn’t expect him to scream, that was understandable all things considered; it was that I had expected to have time to sit and have a coffee in peace before he started again.

The Rat-Catcher - Oswald Fenman’s wife sold pasties; she’d cook them every night and leave them out to cool so they’d be ready in the morning.

No name as of yet - Castor Niall wiped the blood from his hands and returned the blade to his belt.

The Bas***d and Mr Boome - Carrying my entire worldly possessions in my rucksack I stepped off the coach into the rest of my life. Quite appropriately the sun was shining on me as I wandered over the road towards the hotel.

kater
January 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM
All things I've written but never finished - as usual :D

The Guild -
“And he had come, death, the shatterer of worlds.
He tore down the world with glee.
And that which was left, was broken.
He smiled, for he knew they would rebuild again.”
Book of the Fall, Chapter 1.

Eventualities - He etched a mark in the wall. It had become a tradition so deep-rooted in his psyche that it was impossible to stop from doing. The walls mocked him for it. Mocked him for his ability to count the seconds, minutes and hours subconsciously, a living clock that had nothing to do but count time. He stretched languidly, a lengthening sprawl of muscled arms and expanding shoulder joints. There was always time. Nodding to each of the four walls in turn, his lips curled back over a deep smile – they did not understand the meaning of patience.

Ghost in Blood - All around the creature attacked, ferociously biting and howling like a rabid animal free to torment a world which had tormented it for too long. Concealed under a bleak, oppressive darkness that reached its smoky tendrils deep into every crevice, the wind ate at foliage and buildings like a famine ravaged child. If you listened closely maybe faint tones of a mocking laugh would pierce the beast’s shrill shrieking, but to listen would suggest belief of something darker than even the night herself.

Me - I was born in the year of the lord 203, what lord that is I cannot be sure for it is almost certain I have killed God. I was born a young, loved child. Rare in this or any other time I have come to see. Both loving parents worked hard, at work, at marriage and for their child, but as typically happens time marches on and we can but rush to keep pace with the beat of its drum. My parents failed.

Times - The end came, as these things are want to do, but nobody recognised it. Had there been recognition then the result undoubtedly would have been mass hysteria, but there didn’t so there wasn’t. Instead we were left wondering about beginnings. How even though the conclusion is inevitable, we are still forced through the process in order to understand how it is we got there, not that it will achieve anything but for propriety’s sake we endure.

The Hill - The hill stands seemingly indomitable, at the apex a black figure looms over the hill, indistinct yet worryingly recognisable. I am free, the nature of life flows through my body, pulsating power, an insatiable desire burns deep radiating out towards eternity. A strong wind blows in across my cheek, long mocking laughs echo into my ear. I laugh back. He is here, he would say he has always been here. I believe him now.
For now I see, the road has only one end and only one keeper. But there is no reason to stop. I have come as close as I may without causing attention. Yet now recognition has found me and there is no turning back.

Asraloth
January 18th, 2005, 08:53 AM
this is from the 1st chapter of my novel, "Uprising":

"Prince Farien Tynaeth Kordul was envious of all the people in the world right now, knowing that no matter how wretched, they were likely doing something better than him."

I think i like it so much because i've felt like that before, many times in fact.