View Full Version : SNES RPGs

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cwass
January 25th, 2005, 09:10 PM
just curious to see who liked which games and why and what was the favorite of the classics....
my favorites are FFII Chrono Trigger and BoFII
they are jsut all so different from one antoher and each created the series.

FFII is moreso what made FF in my opinion,
and BoFII made that series much more popular. it was way better than the first one.

Chrono trigger was jsut such a differnt kind of game with the whole time changing thing.

saintjon
January 25th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I don't know if you can technically count Ogre Battle as an rpg but that was a pretty sweet game.

Monty Mike
January 26th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Oh hell yeah, Ogre Battle was amazing ;)

Tactics Ogre Battle was the best

saintjon
January 26th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I've only played the GBA version, the SNES one supposedly was like a totally different story from what I hear. Major cool game though that made FF tactics possible.

Zanzibar
April 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Didn't like FF2 but 5 and 6 I loved. Chronotrigger, BoF2, and Ogre Battle are also great games. Some of the lesser known ones would probably be:

7th-saga (Have you played a harder RPG?)
Brain Lord (Cool real-time combat with fairies!)
Shadowrun (Awesome cyberpunk game)
Super Mario RPG (Not unknown but the best looking SNES game ever)
Terranigma (One of the best!)

I have about 65 SNES games on my computer, most of which are RPGs, but I haven't played in awhile and can't remember any other gems off-hand.

Bond
April 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Is it possible to pass Tactics Ogre??? That one seemed so difficult.

FFII (US) is the important RPG that started it all off in earnest I think but other popular and excellent RPGs of note not mentioned yet are Secret of Mana and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I remember loving the music in Secret of Mana especially the background music as one rode Flammie.

I also liked Dragon Warrior III and Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. The latter had the create your own town and spaceship bit long before Breath of Fire II came out and copied it.

Shadowrun was unique in its cyberpunk setting and was very interesting and very good.

A somewhat different kind of RPG were those made by Koei and among these I think Uncharted Waters was the most novel. Lots of people like Pirates! but Uncharted Waters was the one I'm more familiar with and I like it more.

Haven't played Chrono Cross. Is it as good as Chrono Trigger?

Some great games there.

Cwass
April 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Chrono Cross is a great game. not quite the same as Trigger, but good nonetheless. Trigger is a classic all time RPG the second was good. it was slightly more confusing becaus e of all the time switches, and if i remember right there is no spaceship to take you there are certain spots that you can switch time. its very worth playing

saintjon
April 9th, 2005, 12:37 AM
How sweet was it the first time you click the gun button on an innocent bystander in Shadowrun and they actually died? I think that was a gaming milestone for me lol.

FF2 (or IV) was definitely awesome, best characters and some of the best music the series has ever had.

Ivyn
April 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM
The hardcores will argue over whether it should be considered an RPG or not. But Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was awesome fun. There's a port version for GBA now I think.

Someone mentioned Super Mario RPG. I didn't finish it but it was cool. Its pseudo-sequel for the N64, Paper Mario, was probably the most fun I've ever had with an RPG.

Zanzibar
April 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Someone mentioned Super Mario RPG. I didn't finish it but it was cool. Its pseudo-sequel for the N64, Paper Mario, was probably the most fun I've ever had with an RPG.

Actually, Super Mario 64 was it's sequel; Paper Mario was the sequel to that.

And yes, Zelda was great. I must have forgotten it.