PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf Fans

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

juzzza
January 28th, 2005, 06:18 AM
An article in EMPIRE intrigued me yesterday.

So, werewolves need a full moon... What if they lived ON the moon.

A new movie due for production is set in the future, when we have finally colonised the moon and oh dear, werewolves find their way to the colony.

Thing I wonder about is, if you are standing on the moon, clearly you can't see a full moon, or be affected by it? Or is it the moon's influence which triggers the transformation and on earth, only a full moon provides enough of an influence, so standing on the moon gives you MASSIVE influence and trigger an endless transformation.

Yes, I think too much.

kahnovitch
January 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I'm going to pick some nits.

*watches as everyone runs away screaming*

I never "got" the idea of lunar activity changing people into werewolves.

Okay I know it's one of those hokey old myths that date back as far as vampires etc.

Vampires are even worst though. Cannot go out in sunlight, but okay at night, right?
Considering the night is FULL of stars (suns in other words) and moonlight is merely reflected sunlight, how can they ever go out at all?

Plus I've seen a full moon during the day several times. What happens wih werewolves then? Do they spontaneously change while they're queuing up at the meat counter in Waitrose or whatever?

juzzza
January 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
The SUN is millions of light years closer than stars to the earth, so don't harm vampires... Only direct sunlight can harm them, not reflected rays from the moon's surface.

It's all right here in my Vampire Hand Book.

The moon thing and the werewolf, came about in the myth of the curse, I.E. the first human cursed by the pikey to transform into a were-beast whenever there was a full moon.

Good point about the daytime moon mind you.

kahnovitch
January 29th, 2005, 02:26 AM
An article in EMPIRE intrigued me yesterday.

So, werewolves need a full moon... What if they lived ON the moon.

A new movie due for production is set in the future, when we have finally colonised the moon and oh dear, werewolves find their way to the colony.

Got another nit or two.
How the heck could they get to the moon without changing on the very spacecraft that took them there?
Plus what if the base was on the dark side of the moon, which never sees light?

MrBF1V3
January 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Plus what if the base was on the dark side of the moon, which never sees light?

Point of order. The moon rotates so that (more or less) the same face is always facing the earth, not the sun There is no side of the moon that the sun does not shine on, unless you count some of the southern craters where there may be water ice (comet remnant).

But, you can see a full moon during the day, but only in the late evening or early morning.

So maybe the werewolf thing only happens when the sun is directly overhead of the person's location on the moon. Making the moon around them "full" ???
So what would possess a werewolf to want to live on the moon in the first place?

B5

Banger
August 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Plus I've seen a full moon during the day several times. What happens wih werewolves then? Do they spontaneously change while they're queuing up at the meat counter in Waitrose or whatever?

Big bump :D

I'm working on a werewolf story and I'm trying to figure this one out. If it's the moon's light that affects the werewolf, then I wouldn't think that a full moon during the day would have the same effect as one at night, because its light is overshadowed, so to speak, by that of the sun. However, I think that it probably would be rough for a werewolf to see a full moon during the day, just out of the anticipation for when the sun goes down.

Also, Tanith Lee had a story in the August 2004 issue of Asimov's called "Moon Wolf" (http://www.daughterofthenight.com/tlb005.html#B.254) in which there was a werewolf on the moon, but for the life of me I can't remember how it ended :o

Ouroboros
August 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Clearly we're in that special 'barking mad' branch of science if we're trying to figure out the finer points of how the Moon triggers werewolves' change into their lupine form. I think the rules are best played loosely and strictly to the good of the narrative of whatever story a writer is intent on telling.

For what it's worth, I don't think the 'change on the full moon' thing necessarily needs to be tied to the actual light of the moon. You could equally suppose it has to do with the moon's gravity affecting the werewolf's biochemistry and pushing it into overdrive once a month in the same way as it affects the tides. No more ridiculous than moonlight having some special quality. Since this is, after all, just myth there's room for a bit of pliability.

Different takes on the werewolf myth seem to take different approaches, but I've always thought that by not requiring moonlight to fall directly on the werewolf it was possible to set up more claustrophobic possibilities. I like werewolf storylines which involve some unlucky protagonist cooped up in an enclosed space with someone that they realise (all too late) is about to sprout hair and get carnivorous- And ultimately, isn't that really the base premise that this "Werewolves in Space" plot is really all about. It's a worst-case-scenario where the werewolves are right there in the same moonbase as you, with nowhere for you to run except outside to die, and no prospect of them changing back into vulnerable human form.

For the sake of this movie plot, I'd imagine that the writers would make certain stipulations in explaining how their brand of werewolf curse functions. They could present their werewolves as being of some type that can (with great difficulty) restrain their change until a time of their choosing, for example ... Hence perhaps explaining how they made it through security and got on the plane to the Moon. Or maybe they'll have been shipped up in cryogenic stasis by some unwilling dupe. Or maybe the werewolf virus will have been smuggled up for use as a biological weapon of terror or something.

Either way, it's a great horror concept- If perhaps more than a little reminiscent of the base premise behind "30 Days of Night" ... Which in itself is probably an homage to something else, I guess.

Phellim
August 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
If you start pointing out all the little inconsistencies in film, tv and literature then you'll spend an obscene amount of time squabbling over something that doesn't exist in our reality, but rather, someone else's documented imagination. I admit I still do this myself.

So, I'll not bother putting all my theories forward, and instead, ask; What was the name of this film based on the moon with werewolves? I do realise that the original post is years old, but I haven't heard of this.