PDA

View Full Version : Need title of short story collection/author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Igor, you fool!
January 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to find out the titles/author of two SF stories that I read in the eighties when I was a teenager - the stories have stuck in my mind as they were rather disturbing. I think they appeared in the same collection and were by the same author - they could be described as horror, but I'm sure the collection was labelled science-fiction. Here's what I can remember...

One story was set in a small English town. A policeman/reporter (maybe a policeman and a reporter) was investigating a series of thefts in the town. Eventually a cine camera was set up to record events in the town square. On the film, a group of bikers could be seen sitting around a disused stone water trough - they'd left their helmets in the trough, with their backs to it. The helmets then sank down through the trough and disappeared. Later on in the story children began to mysteriously disappear from the town. The main character dreamt about going down into the sewers beneath the town and finding the children, who had been used in some alien experiment - their internal organs had been placed in large glass bottles and their heads were used as the stoppers. The story ended ambiguously I think - I don't think the children were found.

The second story was about a man who went on a camping trip and met a beautiful, but rather strange, young woman - they made love and she left suddenly. He eventually found her in a nearby town and followed her. As he was about to follow the woman around a corner there was an explosion/flash from around the corner. The man realised that the woman had meant him to die in that explosion. That's all I can remember, but I'm sure it appeared in the same collection as the first story.

Can anyone help? I realise that it's a long shot, but I want to find out about these stories - it's like an itch I can't reach!

Expendable
February 2nd, 2005, 02:40 AM
Redgunk Tales: Apocalypse and Kudzu from Redgunk, Mississippi By William R. Eakin - maybe. Check it out.

Monty Mike
February 2nd, 2005, 02:52 AM
perhaps in mentioned in this thread? - http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7059

Igor, you fool!
February 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't think Redgunk Tales is it, Expendable - I'm sure the stories were set in Britain. Redgunk Tales sounds interesting though, I may have to track down a (modestly priced) copy.

I took a look through the thread you mentioned, monty. Lots of interesting stuff, but didn't ring any bells. I think the problem is that my stories probably weren't all that good and have been lost in the mists of time. Oh well.

Thanks again for your help. I may post the same question in the horror forum and elsewhere on the net. You never know... ;)