View Full Version : Idea on switching POV's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
February 2nd, 2005, 04:56 PM
I just came up with an idea on how you could follow two groups at the same time, divide the chapters into halves!

Example; Chapter 3 part 1
Chapter 3 part 2
Chapter 3 part 3
Chapter 3 Final

Monty Mike
February 2nd, 2005, 05:48 PM
I think readers might get frustrated if you did that...... besides, it would feel like a new chapter anyway, wouldn't it?

Who knows..... it might work.......

TheEarCollector
February 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
I don't like it either. Seriously, what is the difference between 3-1 and 4? Just call it for, separating chapters into "parts" is just a sad attempt at covering up the fact that you are trying to hide it... And just because one chapter comes after the next doesn't mean that it chronologically happens afterwards.

Expendable
February 2nd, 2005, 09:22 PM
It doesn't work for me.

Just how many POVs are you representing?

I've read books with two POVs that swapped out at odd intervals but they did it at the chapter breaks. And the one that did it best was the one that told you whose POV you were looking at when they changed chapters.

Chapter 1: Raul
Chapter 2: Mortimer
Chapter 3: Raul
Chapter 4: Raul

Holbrook
February 3rd, 2005, 01:57 AM
Use of various POV's

Make sure the break or change of POV is clear, either a scene change, natural break in that section of the story, or a chapter change. Use as many POV's as you need to or the type of POV you need to to tell your story. The main thing you need to ask, does it make sense, can the story be followed, does it flow, am I keeping to the one person's POV in this section (if using limited 3rd POV) not head hopping (omi third POV) and mixing the two.

You can follow two or more groups, or events happening in different places. Writers like Harry Turtledove, Janny Wurts, Stephen King etc do it, why can't you?

It depends on the type of POV you are using as well. just make sure you "mark" the change in some way.

Also credit you reader with some intelligence, most folks can handle a multi POV story

juzzza
February 3rd, 2005, 03:27 AM
Works for me Sub in fact, the book I am reading at the moment does something similar. Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Stover.

He splits chapters up as many as eight times and not always, but will switch POV often.

He writes chapters in words I.E. 'Chapter Twenty One' and then uses numbers to break a chapter up instead of '#' or extra line breaks. He doesn't follow a pattern or anything, sometimes a chapter is one section and one POV and sometimes he will split it up after a few paragraphs... It really helps tension.

Gregorius_H
February 3rd, 2005, 03:36 AM
Stephen King does something similar as well doesn't he?

juzzza
February 3rd, 2005, 03:45 AM
I think you will find it used quite often, but when you are reading you tend not to even notice although subconsciously, you accept the POV switch.

Holbrook
February 3rd, 2005, 03:58 AM
I think you will find it used quite often, but when you are reading you tend not to even notice although subconsciously, you accept the POV switch.

Exactly! If the story flows, if it grabs you and takes you in, if you relate to the characters you can accept the POV shifts. In fact it is easier these days in some ways. Films, TV series etc swap POV quite quickly, a modern audience accepts it no questions asked. It is silly to believe a reader can't do the same.

Yes it is good to understand how POV works and the various types in fact Try and get a copy of Orson Scott Vard's Characters and Viewpoint, I found it a good, simple guide. Also KatG did a good potted version on a thread somewhere on this forum. Understand it and use it, but don't be afraid of it. Don't get bogged down in the does and don'ts. Time to fiddle with the story once it is out of your head and written.

juzzza
February 3rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
Yes, as you know Holbrook, my tendency to head-hop is because I like to write in a cinematic style, comes from growing up with and having a deep love of, movies.

My personal POV choice is Third Omniscient and I enjoy reading this style too.