View Full Version : Phantom of the Opera

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Eldanuumea
February 3rd, 2005, 12:18 AM
WOW!!
Just got back from watching Gerard Butler do an excellent job as the Phantom. I prefer his baritone to Michael Crawford's tenor.

This is a visually lovely film, and of course what fan of musicals can resist Weber's music?

It was fun seeing Ciaran Hinds in a rather comical role, actually singing....and Minnie Driver was a delightfully conceited diva. Miranda Richardson turns in a wonderful, subtle performance as the woman who has lept the Phantom's secret.

TayTootje
February 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
My parents saw the actual musical couple of years back and they were so very enthusiastic about it, that I wonder if I should go see the movie. The previews seemed very promising....
But concluding from your reaction, I think I should :D

FicusFan
February 3rd, 2005, 09:52 PM
I saw the trailer for this film at one of the movies I saw. It was a very riveting trailer. I have wanted to see it, but it isn't playing in as many places as most movies that are in 'wide' distribution. The nearest theatre playing it is about 45 minutes from my house.

I have to say that hearing about all the singing has turned me off a bit though. I like musicals on the stage but not on film, where I find them boring (especially that kind of music).

Eldanuumea
February 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I saw the trailer for this film at one of the movies I saw. It was a very riveting trailer. I have wanted to see it, but it isn't playing in as many places as most movies that are in 'wide' distribution. The nearest theatre playing it is about 45 minutes from my house.

I have to say that hearing about all the singing has turned me off a bit though. I like musicals on the stage but not on film, where I find them boring (especially that kind of music).

We had to drive an hour and a half away to see it.
And the whole film just about is sung, like a musical.....just thought I'd "warn" you!

FicusFan
February 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks, I will pass then. :)