PDA

View Full Version : Blood in throat mean dead?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
February 3rd, 2005, 10:25 PM
If someone has blood coming up their throats and out their mouths, does this mean they are going to die or can they be saved?

This is probably a wierd question but I need to know for writing purposes.

Expendable
February 3rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
Its not a good sign.

Spitting up small amounts of blood (pink saliva) might mean bleeding gums. Spitting out blood might mean a tooth got knocked out but it'll stop soon. But choking on blood means death very soon without medical help. Especially if its a pink froth (blood in the lungs - they're drowning in their own blood).

SubZero61992
February 3rd, 2005, 11:56 PM
So its reasonable to say someone lived after blood poured from their mouth?

Eventine
February 4th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I think the question you need to answer first is why did the blood come out?

Jay232
February 4th, 2005, 07:04 AM
If blood was pouring from someone's mouth my first thought would be internal bleeding... which is not good. People die from that, but I've heard that they can be saved.

TheEarCollector
February 4th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Chances are that if you are coughing up blood, you are going to die. The main reason for that is that blood is dripping down your throat too while you are coughing it up, and it hardens and prevents your breathing. Technically, it's like drowning in your own blood...

You CAN be saved but... Realistically, you don't have the equipment or training to save them in most cases (I think a tracheotomy will save them...)

SubZero61992
February 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM
So in the world without technology and using just herbs, needles and thread, and some water could the person be saved if they had beeen stabbed three times with a blade, one time in the stomach and twice in both legs.

Expendable
February 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM
So in the world without technology and using just herbs, needles and thread, and some water could the person be saved if they had beeen stabbed three times with a blade, one time in the stomach and twice in both legs.

There is a major artery running in both legs around the hips call the femoral artery. IF this is severed, blood will spurt from the wounds and your patient could die in a manner of minutes from blood loss.

But if its missed, some simple sutures and a herbal poltice to help draw infection from the wound usually sufficed.

But gut wounds were to be feared. Untreated, you died a horrible lingering death. However, a good knowledgable surgeon could treat the wound.

choppy
February 4th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Eventine brought up a good point - you need to consider the source. Being the writer, you obviously know. And of course, being the writer, ultimately you will determine if the character survives or not. So I guess what the question comes down to more of: is it realisitic to survive such injuries.

So you have a character who's been stabbed in the stomach (or do you mean chest?) and in each of his legs. He is coughing up blood. You have little technology to help him. Off hand I'd say his chances aren't great, but it's not impossible to survive. It's actually quite surprising the kind of trauma people can survive.

What was he stabbed by? If he was impaled by a large, wide blade or something with a serrated edge that would inflict more damage than a piercing-type sword (although piercing swords tend to go deeper and kill more quickly).

His major worry would likely be infection. If the trauma is not sufficient to kill him outright, without the presence of antibiotics, infection could set in and kill him. His chances will improve dramatically if he is able to keep the wounds clean and properly dressed.

SubZero61992
February 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks, I've came to this conclusion:

Stabbed=gushing blood=possible death=clean wound=stich wound=drink medicine=keep under close observation=possibility of survival.

Make sense?