PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galatica.. :)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
February 5th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Well, I've watched a few episodes of this fantastic show, and I feel inspired to ask.

Any recomendations on a Military Scifi, aliens, battles between warships, fighters, even ground combat? Anything in the vein of BG..

And, yes, I know all the links that are abound for recommendations, but, rather lazy, and I want this to be specific. Not just good ole scifi. ;)

Thanks!

Keyoke :D

emohawk
February 5th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I haven't seen Battlestar Galactica yet but as far as military SF goes two of the best are probably The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.

Priestvyrce
February 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Well, I've watched a few episodes of this fantastic show, and I feel inspired to ask.

Any recomendations on a Military Scifi, aliens, battles between warships, fighters, even ground combat? Anything in the vein of BG..

And, yes, I know all the links that are abound for recommendations, but, rather lazy, and I want this to be specific. Not just good ole scifi. ;)

Thanks!

Keyoke :D

David Weber's Honor Harrington books or Elizabeth Moon's Once A Hero might be what you'd like to read.

Monty Mike
February 6th, 2005, 03:54 AM
I'll second The Forever War

Duraccione
February 6th, 2005, 07:29 AM
You just have to name it! :)
Some of my favorites:

John Steakley - Armor (aged but still the best)
All about power suits, bug aliens and a compelling plot about "the" armor itself. ;)

David Sherman & Dan Cragg - Starfist series
Nine books so far, the first one is "First to fight": no masterworks nor milestones, but good readings and easy plots. Don't expect too much form the character development, the fight scenes are some of the best ones ever read though.

Ian Douglas (alias for William h. Keith) - The Heritage Trilogy
Set in the near future, it's more than worth a reading: first volume of the series is "Semper Mars". It all has the same taste as the "Stargrunt" wargame. ;)

John Ringo - The Posleen War series
Quite enjoyable. It all starts with "A hymn before battle".

I hope it meets your question. :)

Rob B
February 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I really enjoy the show. It moves a bit slowly, but overall, the best thing on the channel since Farscape. Not as good as FarScape, but good nonetheless.

Moved to TV/Film

Solaar
March 1st, 2005, 03:14 PM
I really enjoy the show. It moves a bit slowly, but overall, the best thing on the channel since Farscape. Not as good as FarScape, but good nonetheless.

Moved to TV/Film

Oooooohhhhhhhhhhh.......... is that so, huh?

*takes his gloves off*

Better than Battlestar??????

Solaar
swift like a butterfly