PDA

View Full Version : Boring sequals...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jay232
February 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know any good tips or rules to making a good sequal? I watch all these sequals to movies and see how much worse they get as they go on. I think my book is really good and I don't want to disappoint it with a boring sequal. At first I wasn't even sure I wanted a sequal, but I kind of want to add on to the story. Does introducing new characters make a better impact? How do people feel about breaking up a 'fairy tale' couple? Personally I don't enjoy that, I'm a softy, but I need to do whatever I can to make this one as interesting as the first :)
*J*

JamesL
February 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
With a sequel you ought to keep the more interesting characters and develop them further, as well as introducing some new ones.

KatG
February 9th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Movies and books aren't the same thing. But one thing writers do need to deal with in writing a sequel is the delicate balance between providing enough information about past events and characters to let new readers know what is going on, without doing so much and in such a way that you bore old readers who already know all that information. A lot of times, the published writers I was editing, writing the next volume in a series, tended to front-load the beginning of the sequels with a lot of back story information and set-up information and it sometimes sagged. They were concentrating on new readers, but it's nice to keep in mind old readers. Of course, you may be writing the sequel before you have any readers, but it's still something you can keep in mind.

MrBF1V3
February 10th, 2005, 03:56 PM
As a simple rule, don't write a sequel unless you can do something better than the first story, or at least as good (but different). When you have some pretty good characters it's fun to put them into a new situation and see how they do. Don't let status quo drive your plot, change things.

KatG is absolutely right, handling the reintroduction of your characters and their back story is difficult at best. Spend a lot of time, learn how to swing it, or find a good editor or two who can walk you through the process.
B5