View Full Version : War of the Worlds

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

BlackCauldron
February 10th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Who else is looking forward to this movie? Personally I can't wait. I loved the book, and this is the kind of story that if done right will make an amazing movie. Spielberg has said he's a huge WOTW fan and wants to keep it as true to the original story as possible (except for it being set in modern day instead of late 1800's). I was pretty intrigued by the Super Bowl ad they ran, some cool effects with the bridge being ripped up.

Eurytus
February 12th, 2005, 07:05 AM
I love the book. The original movie version was not bad but I could never understand the decision to change them from Tripods to Flying Hover Craft things. The decision to change it to the modern day I could understand more but I was not too happy about it.

With the Spielberg version I am sure I will watch it. The decision to keep the tripods is positive, the decision to go modern day is less so. I want to see steamships fighting tripods damn it.

Interestingly a small British film studio is working on a version that is to be totally true to the original. Tripods, Victorian Britain, the lot. I am interested to see what it will be like. CGI negates many of the problems that used to face low budget Science Fiction. See Equilibrium for how a small budget can work wonders. It may end up going straight to DVD due to the Spielberg juggernaut taking all the glory but I will still seek it out.

http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html

Joe Bloggs
February 17th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Spielberg has said he's a huge WOTW fan and wants to keep it as true to the original story as possible (except for it being set in modern day instead of late 1800's).

Oh well, there goes the source material straight into the trash. :rolleyes:

I want to see steamships fighting tripods damn it.

Likewise.

I remember the chapter of an old ironclad warship, although state of the art at the time, putting up a brave fight against the Martians.
I think it was called the "Thunderchild".

Got the feeling this is going to very similar to Independence Day, which is basically a modern, gung-ho, americanised version of WotW anyway.

I just hope Will Smith's not in it. :eek:

BlackCauldron
February 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I've seen several people suggest this will be similar to Independence Day, but I think that's totally off-base. Independence Day was deliberately funny and the aliens cartoony. Based on what I've read and the way they made the Super Bowl ad for this, War of the Worlds is going to be much darker and serious thatn ID4 was.

Hobbit
February 17th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Based on what I've read and the way they made the Super Bowl ad for this, War of the Worlds is going to be much darker and serious than ID4 was. Yeah - this time we've got Windows XP to fight them off with... :D

I really don't like the idea of moving it to the US and keeping it current, but sadly couldn't see the film being made any other way with the names of Cruise and Spielberg attached. I'll be interested in the 'more-like-the-book-version', though sadly can see that without a big budget it's not going to do that well. I'll probably end up going to see the Spielberg one as it's on the list of the kids' 'to-see' movies for the summer.

*goes off to find his Jeff Wayne CD*

(and yes, it was the 'Thunderchild'. :) )

Hobbit

MrBF1V3
February 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
In movies these days, "based on the book" means the names are the same, the story is something like segments of chapters 2, 8 and 17, and they added extra action scenes and changed the ending. (Has anyone seen The Time Machine, 2002?)

I tend to be sceptical.

B5

Bitter Buffalo
February 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Actually I think they're gonna change a lot, one of the movie's conceptual artists said that the aliens are no longer Martians, now they're from a "Another Dimension".

Hobbit
February 22nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Just as long as it's not as bad as Tim Burtons' 'reimagining' of Planet of the Apes. I usually like Tim Burton's, but that was awful. *shudder*

Oh, and in a similar vein, here's a link to the thread on I, Robot:

LINK HERE: (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5660)

Hobbit

Eurytus
February 22nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Agreed, make-up and Paul Giametti's(?) performance apart Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes was astonishingly bad.
However one thing they did get right was that Chimps are unpredictable psychos.
I did like that.

BlackCauldron
February 24th, 2005, 11:31 AM
The remake of Planet of the Apes was just dreadful. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep during it. I think War of the Worlds, despite the time period change is going to otherwise stay true to the book. I just read something over at Sci-Fi.com saying that the aliens are going to be modeled as closely as possible off of H.G. Wells descriptions.