PDA

View Full Version : Sing, O Goddess! (Epic Poetry)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

michaelS0620
February 12th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I have always wanted to try my hand at epic poetry in the style of Paradise Lost or Homer's epics; but with a fantasy/fabulist twist. It would seem to me, though, a VERY difficult thing to pull off well. Readers who are not used to it, may be immediately put off by the "gimmick" and it would have to be very good to hold the reader's interest for so many pages.

Has anyone given this sort of thing a try? Like all things in life, the things that are most rewarding sit very close to those things most likely to fail. I think an epic poem done well could be fantastic.

Are there any brave souls who have tried it? How did it work? Are there published works out there?

Michael

Rira
February 14th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I have tried it, though it did not come out well. i've always wanted to write one, but when inspiration hits, all i get is a few good lines, then it all goes downhill. but besides the classics, ive never heard of any new ones. That would be an interesting read. but im not sure it would appeal to a large population. it may. id read it. but i suppose it would depend, like you said, on how well it was written. if the author did a good job, im sure it would get mad reviews and then tons would read it.
if your thinking on writing one, its a genius idea. go for it, and good luck.