View Full Version : Map Building

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

rune
April 18th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Can anyone suggest a site that would help me make my own map for the story i am writing

Hans
April 18th, 2001, 10:31 AM
I din;t know any sites. But a good idea is to look at the books you have at home, and see which maps looks similar to the ones you've imagined in your mind. Change what you need from that map, and draw it. Or a world map could be usefull.

rune
April 30th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Thanks for advice Han

I decided i needed more detail. I dont want a world map look.
I wanted something a bit more close up so to speak, so i did something in a publishing programme.

e.g. forests, mountain ranges, huts, castle.

Tracey

KATS
May 1st, 2001, 05:44 AM
Iím particularly fond of topographic maps. I donít know any sites or books even on how to make these maps. But they are very useful for getting a feel for the landscape. We did a lot of camping and cross country hikes when I was younger and these maps were indispensable. Of course by your last post, it seems that youíve found some sort of solution and this info may be of little help to you.

serindela
May 3rd, 2001, 12:00 PM
I creat my own maps, and creat maps for others. All hand drawn, to their spects. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bardos
May 3rd, 2001, 10:08 PM
That's what I do too...

FluFF_ThorrenT
August 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hey, check out this site: http://www.nbos.com/products/mapper/mapper.htm

The programs cost, but if you look around, youīll find some free (although with less features) trial versions.

//FluFF ThorrenT

Mock
August 25th, 2008, 12:28 AM
This may have been the greatest necro I've ever seen.

So, without further ado ...

HOLY NECRO BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!11!1!111!

I use AutoREALM. Bland but simple, and it can look appealing through its simplicity. Just look at Radthorne's map.

BrightStar
November 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
I've tried a number of different map making programs, but none of them suit me very well. In the end, I decided to make my novel's map myself. Using paint shop pro and basic drawing tools, I have something that I'm fairly satisfied with. I use different coloured "blobs" to indicate village, town, city, etc. Also can use numbers by each location and then create a corosponding chart to list actual place names (since I find including location names on maps can take up too much space and become confusing). It works well for me, anyways.

FluFF_ThorrenT
November 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I've tried a number of different map making programs, but none of them suit me very well. In the end, I decided to make my novel's map myself. Using paint shop pro and basic drawing tools, I have something that I'm fairly satisfied with. I use different coloured "blobs" to indicate village, town, city, etc. Also can use numbers by each location and then create a corosponding chart to list actual place names (since I find including location names on maps can take up too much space and become confusing). It works well for me, anyways.

I used to do that too, I think I might be a little bit too critical to myself. :confused: