PDA

View Full Version : Information on 1800's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Rira
February 14th, 2005, 10:58 AM
My book has a setting akin to the mid-late 1800's, and ive been playing with the internet and books to get an idea on styles, culture behavior and such of that time. but its slightly difficult. does anyone know of a good book or website that will show me life in that time period, of both the rich and poor? i need discriptions of tenements as well as mansions and palaces. from around the world, not jsut america. any help at all would be appreciated. im not trying to mirror the time period, just to get an idea so my setting is realistic and things (such as building styles and technology) dont collide. thanks!

Expendable
February 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM
What Jane Austen ATE and Charles Dickens KNEW by Daniel Pool. From Fox Hunting to Whist - the facts of Daily Life in 19th Century England.

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the 1800s by Marc McCutcheon.

You can also read authors of the period. Mark Twain, Jane Austen, etc.

TheEarCollector
February 14th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Find the nearest college library. They have a plethora of old books with lots and lots of information that you never needed to know. I have found that a lot of my good info comes from going through books and finding the kind of stuff I never even thought about, rather than the stuff I am looking for clarification on.

A lot of the newer libraries (city libraries) don't tend to have as good of selection on the older books, and are focused on the kind of stuff you will find on the internet.

Another thing I want to mention, despite the internet's abundance of information, it is all shortened to the point where a lot of it is lost unless you know specifically what you are looking for (and even then it can be a huge hassle to find any information).

There was a series on the History Channel called "Worst Jobs of the Victorian Era" and some other eras. They cover a lot of crappy jobs in London during the 1700 and 1800s, and inform a lot about jobs you really never hear about otherwise (bathouse attendants, the guy who walks the coast searching for smugglers, people who were impressed into the Royal Navy, etc.). Check out that show if you have the means of doing so, lots of good information.

Holbrook
February 15th, 2005, 01:31 AM
1800’s are a very broad base, when in the 1800's?

The 19th century starts with the French revolution, The American revolution, The East Indian Company beginning its campaigns to subdue India. Nelson, Wellington, Waterloo. Think films like Master and Commander, The Sharpe series, Books like War and Peace. The Regency period. A time of horse drawn carriages, sailing ships. The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Then you go through into Early Victorian times the explosion of the industrial revolution, trains, American civil war, the beginnings of the Raj in India and the expansion into the Far East, Hong Kong, China. The opening up of Japan to the west. Photography, the first of the iron clad battle ships. Telegraph. The “wild west.” The plunge into Africa, Livingstone.

The 1800’s also traces the slave trade from its height, through the abolishment of the practice.

The century finishes with telephones, moving pictures, cars, the beginnings of aircraft. Ships like the Titanic being built. Votes for women.

It is a huge leap that century. If you are going to use part of it, best to narrow your “time” At least to early, middle or late, because the technology you have to play with is different as well as clothes and building.