View Full Version : The Anxiety of Writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
February 16th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I am sure most of you have been really excited as you were writing a big part of your story and are so proud when you're finished with the piece.

So I was having that moment, I was introducing characters, important background informations, etc. Then BAM!
It seemed to knock me off my feet.
I was proud of the work when I printed it, but I felt like I had rushed it, or put to much of this and too little of that into it.

I think the feeling came from I wrote it so fast and I read it fast it was a movie, so I felt it had been rushed.
However when I read it slowly it seemes to fit.

Anyone else have these Anxiety moments?

Expendable
February 16th, 2005, 03:39 PM
All the time. Usually right after I've printed or submitted something and find I'd missed something or left in a typo.....

SubZero61992
February 16th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Yes, I do that often too.
I will submit something here to be critiqued, print it and delete it from the computer before I had put in you alls suggestions.

mistri
February 16th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I think most writers have those anxiety moments at least once per book :) (not all, I'm sure there are a few super-confident ones, but I haven't met them yet).

Whenever I feel like my book is awful and should be chucked away, I find the best thing to do is carry on and write through that feeling. Eventually I start to feel like the book has potential again.

I personally tend to hit my worst point at the middle of the story, when I've been writing for a long time, and still can't see the ending in sight.

SubZero61992
February 16th, 2005, 04:26 PM
It is really bad for me when the authors story has me anxious to read and I start reading quickly like it is my own writing, then I feel it is horrible because it seems rushed, but it is all in my head

Jacquin
February 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM
print it and delete it from the computer

WHAT????? You purposefully delete your own work? You really should hold onto it you know. It might just come in handy one day!

J

SubZero61992
February 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I print it first, but I dont like other people at home reading my work, and most of them tend to delete whatever isn't theirs so I delete it for privacy.

Expendable
February 16th, 2005, 04:52 PM
oh Sub-zero, here's what you can do - get yourself some floppies or better yet one of those usb drives you can plug into a usb port and save all your writing to that. Then you don't have to worry about anyone reading what you wrote.

Think about it - you pour yourself out to create the first rough draft. Then you torture yourself creating different versions while you're editing your drafts to come up with one that's ready to be read.

All that effort is worth it. It shows how you got to where you are. There are things in those drafts that might not make it to your manuscript today that you might need tomorrow.

Save your work, even if its just to a floppy.

SubZero61992
February 16th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I have had bad luck with floppies too, so I dont fully trust them either, Lol.
I was planning on saving all of the money I get from my birthday and other smalls things so at Christmas I can try to get my parents to buy me a labtop with the help of my savings.

Expendable
February 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Laptops are nice and also easy to steal.

Try a usb flash drive, you'll like them much better than floppies.