View Full Version : Gun Shot wounds...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jay232
February 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM
One of the characters in my book got shot in the leg. Realistically, how long would that take to heal or at least until (she) can walk again. I've got a feeling how I've written is off by a few yards :p Can anyone help?

Basically all I need to know is if someone was shot in the leg, if I recall right just above the knee but missing that vein, how long it would take before someone would be able to walk without a cane. Even so, could someone push themselves without causing injury severe enough to cause the loss of use in that leg?
I know that it depends from case to case and that luck is a very big factor. But realistically and statistically stating. A major part of my story revolves around her injury so I want to be accurate :D
Thanks guys!!
*J*

SubZero61992
February 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
If it missed an important vein then I would say they could be using the leg atleast slowly with a few weeks or a month depending on how they rehabilitate, but then again I am not good at medical stuff so I may not be correct.

Expendable
February 16th, 2005, 06:33 PM
A thru and thru soft tissue only injury should recover quickly.

With a femur or tibia fracture, it can take six months to heal completely.
Most fractures are fully healed after three months and the rest of the time is spent in rehabilitation, regaining muscle tone.

Jay232
February 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
If it missed an important vein then I would say they could be using the leg atleast slowly with a few weeks or a month depending on how they rehabilitate, but then again I am not good at medical stuff so I may not be correct.

That's kinda how I wrote it. I had it where she could walk with the use of a cane I think 3 or 4 weeks later.

A thru and thru soft tissue only injury should recover quickly.

With a femur or tibia fracture, it can take six months to heal completely.
Most fractures are fully healed after three months and the rest of the time is spent in rehabilitation, regaining muscle tone.
The way I wrote it was that it was just tissue and muscle damage. Is that plausible?

TheEarCollector
February 16th, 2005, 10:26 PM
A lot depends on the individual too...

I knew a Gunnery Sergeant who fell out of a helicopter and broke every bone in his body and was running marathons a month later...
And then I know the people who break their leg and become completely and utterly useless for 3 months...

Chlestron
February 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I agree with Ear Collector, it depends on the person. Such an injury, right above the knee but missing the majory artery would cause some soft tissue damage, but people heal faster than others and have a higher tolerance for pain, discomfort, and physical injury than others.

3-4 weeks on a cane might be reasonable. I don't really know.

Expendable
February 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM
The gunnery sergeant had a goal, determination, need. He wasn't going to let the fall stop him. He had to run, pushing aside the pain, using it to get him not only to start but to get himself over the finish line.

Determination and a goal is important.

The guy who broke his leg and just laid there might have really just needed the rest.

Expendable
February 23rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
One of the characters in my book got shot in the leg. Realistically, how long would that take to heal or at least until (she) can walk again. I've got a feeling how I've written is off by a few yards :p Can anyone help?

Basically all I need to know is if someone was shot in the leg, if I recall right just above the knee but missing that vein, how long it would take before someone would be able to walk without a cane. Even so, could someone push themselves without causing injury severe enough to cause the loss of use in that leg?
*J*

I talked to a nurse today and she told me that a gunshot to the upper leg causing only soft tissue injuries, the person would be up and walking in a week's time and should be fully recovered in 3 weeks.

Jay232
February 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
hmm... that's pretty interesting. Thanks Expendable.
But I guess I should have listed more detail earlier. I forgot to add that she had limited supplies (for lack of a better term) An authentic doctor worked on the wound, but not at a hospital. He visited a week later for a check up.
I didn't know if that would affect anything, besides that the wound could become infected.
The doctor had left enough gauze and such to keep the wound cleaned and dressed. So beings that she keeps the wound clean, it should heal just as easily, right?

Jacquin
February 23rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Wound healing is a tricky thing. Granulating tissue favours exactly the same environment as bacteria so it can be tricky.

Assuming that your character is shot by a non-expanding round that passes through the leg and doesn't lodge and also misses any number of important blood vessels, bones and nerves as well as not causing any of the associated acute soft tissue complications such as Compartment Syndrome and DVT and no infection sets in, and no muscular adhesions form then it wouldn't take long to recover, if they can cope with the pain then it wouldn't really do much damage at all. But it is highly unlikely that the above scenario would occur.

Infection is the biggest worry, bullets are not sterile and can in themselves introduce pathogens, if you are wearing clothes then fibres of the cloth can be introduced into the wound by the bullet.

In the western world today any deep penetrating injury should automatically be surgically cleaned and prophalactic antibiotics given to reduce the risk of infection. In a world where neither of these are an option you could be looking at a death sentence.

J