View Full Version : Typos!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Jay232
February 16th, 2005, 08:49 PM
How many people have crossed over typos in a book they were reading? I heard it was quite common once, but I've never come across one until I started reading this book. Suzanne Brockmann Harvard's Education- Romance. I tried to reread the sentence to make sense but "He propped opened the rickety door to the hut" can't seem to make sense in my head :p

JamesL
February 16th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Typos are rare but you do get them. Can't think of any real examples apart from one of David Gemmell's earlier books...the version i had, at least, had quite a few.

I'm reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman at the mo and I'm sure I spotted a typo at one point. :rolleyes:

Rocket Sheep
February 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
HHGG has dozens of them. I have the four books in one version.

Rocket Sheep
February 16th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I reviewed a book once written by two authors so it'd had two authors and presumably an editor go over it and it still said just after one of the main characters walked into a tailor shop in Bangkok:
“laid a bill on the counter, slipping a fly down as well.” (a fly was a spying device... but it took me ages to remember that!)

Mind you it didn't have a very good editor because someone described a bacteria as a "killer virus" on the back blurb and then sent the novel to a speculative fiction mag for review when it was written in the style of a spy thriller and the science was completely dodgy.

And all thru the book were typos, passives, consecutive actions happening simultaneously... it drove me quite mad.

Crow
February 16th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I remember quite a great deal in the Wheel of Time books I had.

MrBF1V3
February 17th, 2005, 12:16 AM
The first paperback copy I owned of the book Callahan's Crosstime Saloon had a huge error, about three paragraphs were repeated right in the middle of a description of some bad things happening in Vietnam. For a moment I thought it was a flashback. ;)
B5

Jay232
February 17th, 2005, 01:02 AM
The first paperback copy I owned of the book Callahan's Crosstime Saloon had a huge error, about three paragraphs were repeated right in the middle of a description of some bad things happening in Vietnam. For a moment I thought it was a flashback. ;)
B5
LOL. Well, it is pretty shocking to see typos considering the processes it goes thru, but how interesting that there are things so big as that! You'd think someone would notice somewhere! :p

Chipotle
February 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM
This typo touched on one of my pet peeves: I just finished reading Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Quest", and one of the characters uses the word "irregardless", which is informal slang at best, and an out-and-out mistake at worst.

Even if Hobb meant to use it as slang, it still doesn't work. "Irregardless" was coined in the US in the early 20th century. To me, it doesn't make sense to have a character in a faraway fantasy land using such a modern, uniquely American slang word.

Can you tell that this word bothers me for no real reason? :)

From dictionary.com for anyone who cares:
"Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so."

Monty Mike
February 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM
The books in my copy of the Engnines of Light Trilogy is a first edition and I remembered finding quite a few typos in it. I think the majority tend to be fixed by the second edition.

I just thought about it, but you can probably tell roughly what edition of a book you have by the number of typos :D

Rocket Sheep
February 17th, 2005, 10:06 PM
That's because all the readers write to the authors and tell them they can't spell. ;)

I had a challenge with Richard Herley, before he quit writing, that if I found any mistake in his novels, he'd put me into some Hall of Fame. I found he'd used "nauseous" wrong. The problem was, everyone was using "nauseous" instead of "nauseated" and in the last couple of years they've changed dictionaries to include the common meaning.

So watch out. "Irregardless" could become okay.