PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming writers block...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

leanda
February 22nd, 2005, 07:43 AM
Hi all
I am writing a new childrens book at the mo, but I have come to a mental stop. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to overcome writers block....? Anyone.....Please...

Leanda
(There Are No Children Here)
www.unionjaxbooks.com

juzzza
February 22nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Find a successful writer, and eat their heart... You absorb all their power!

Oops, sorry that's from a horror story I read recently.

If I find myself blocked or even bored with a section and I know scenes or interactions further on in the story in my mind, I find it helps to move forward in the story and write those scenes, it gets the creative juices flowing and sometimes even inspires you for the gap you have left. I have known writers to write scenes all over the place in a story's timeline and then piece it all together during the edit process.

I have also found writing an unrelated short story can again, help get the juices flowing, sometimes just throwing out words busts through the block.

leanda
February 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks alot. That's quite inspiring. I like the idea of writing storylines further in the book. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Leanda

Jacquin
February 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
I took up writing poetry when I couldn't find anything to write on my novel and no shorts stories were making themselves felt. Turned out to be a good thing, got one published... :D

J

P.S. If you're gonna eat someone's heart, Juzzza has had more stuff published than me!

Holbrook
February 22nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Relax, actually tell your self it is not important, that is doesn't matter if your write anything to day or next week. Do other things not related with writing.

Then you will find after a while you want to write, the fun comes back. It you let the "need" to write pressurise you you begin to hate it. Same with the does and don'ts they can wait till you edit. Try and do them at the same time again you begin to hate it as it never seems to go forward....

Juzzza has already worked out a way to eat the hearts of a number of writers. Beware Juzzza at your door!

Sammie
February 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Moved to Writing.... :)

Sam.

juzzza
February 22nd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Juzzza has already worked out a way to eat the hearts of a number of writers.

And it ain't with good looks and charm ;)

Actually, I found the snowflake process a brilliant way to beat writer's block, it really showed me where I wanted to take my project and helped me get to know the characters and what motivates them.

Let me know if 'snowflake' means nothing to you leanda and one of the good folks here will provide a link for you.

Expendable
February 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about the snowflake method in this thread (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8763&highlight=snowflake).

Or go right to Randall Ingermanson's site to see an example (http://www.rsingermanson.com/html/sample_snowflake.html) and a full explanation (http://www.rsingermanson.com/html/the_snowflake.html) of how it works.

One thing I do is if I'm really truely stuck, I'll try writing something else for a while. Then when things get flowing again, I'll come back.

JRMurdock
February 22nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
I've taught myself to 1) Journal. This helps get the juices flowing so I can write. and 2) Write. Even if you don't 'feel' like writing, just start. Remember, you can always go back and edit. It's not a 100% block, it's just the getting started that most people have trouble with. Write a line. Two lines. By the time you write the third, you'll be underway. :)

kater
February 22nd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Wow that snowflake method looks superb, up until now I've just been writing when I feel like it. I may try that as I do have a sort of block - thanks guys :)