PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I just hang out with weird people...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

JRMurdock
February 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
Do you friends and family support you and your writing endeavors?

I have to ask because my friends, family, nearly all the people I know support me and my writing. I get hit up all the time 'When are you going to get published so I can buy this book you wrote?' Many have either read my story/book and want a 'real' book copy of it or just want to buy the book so they can say, 'Hey, I know the guy that wrote this!'

For me, it's hard to imagine people who wouldn't support me no matter what I did. Are there really friends out there like that who say 'Oh, you wrote a book. Nice job.' and that's it. How does this make you feel about what you're doing? Does it drive you nuts?

SubZero61992
February 22nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
I don't get support from my friends and family because I won't let them know about it.
When I get my book published is when I want to read it, but otherwise I dont like family commenting or reading my work though they know I like to do it.

JRMurdock
February 22nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
Why is that? You've shared your writing with us (and I must say you're improving with each post you do). Is there a reason you don't want to include your friends and family in something that you obviously have a passion for?

SubZero61992
February 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
I don't have to see you every day unlike my family.
If they read it before I get it published then I will get the feeling they will be like " So thats what goes on up there?" and I really dont want that.

It is really just a privacy problem.

JRMurdock
February 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Is it privacy or modesty? Are you embarrassed if your family knows you and what makes you tick?

Jay232
February 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
I have to say I see where SubZero is coming from.
My family and friends are always dying to read my work, and I have some that harass me on when they can buy the 'real' copy like you were saying maus... but there are few people I let read my work. Such as, my best friend who is like a sister to me, and the person that I based the story on if I base it on someone at all. But other than that, I haven't let any of my family members read it. The friends I let read it at least know mostly what the book contains, but I would feel really uncomfortable letting my mom read a book that I had written that contained the least bit amount of sexuality or love. It just feels awkward and embarrassing.

So for now my work stays between me and a few really close friends, and ofcourse posted here for some very helpful critiques! ;)

But to answer your original question maus, I have yet to find a friend that says "Wow you wrote a book, good for you." Except for my boyfriend... but he only says that because he doesn't read books So what I do is kind of a foreign world to him.... :cool:

Gregorius_H
February 22nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah, i have similar problems. I don't think I've written a single thing thus far that I would be comfortable with my family reading. You see... they have me locked into this little category that they're all happy with (and that i'm happy with), but what comes down on paper when i start writing kind of goes against that grain. I mean, in reality i'm a nice calm, mellow person, but a lot of my stories contain characters that aren't exactly nice, normal people. A lot of my stories are about certain aspects of philosophy (though i've only posted one of those type here) which i don't think my family would even know i think about. Or write about...

I won't even let my family get near any of the horror stories...

My friends however, they can read whatever. And most of them do. I've got this one friend in particular who's always good to remind me when I become pretentious in my writings, or when my imagination is lacking, etc. Other friends just read the stuff, and then say "Yeah, it was good." Yet other friends say, "Wow! You wrote that? I'd read it if i had the time but..." blah blah blah.

Although I do like it when people give me advice, an overabundance of it can be distracting. That tends to be why i never pester anyone into reading anything i wrote... if they want too, that's good. If not, so be it.

But then I have this one friend who I want to stab in the face, "Oh my god, you spent all that time writing that. It's 160 pages? Get a life why don't you?" (he says after returning from starbucks, wearing his $500 dollar gucci sun glasses...) :rolleyes:

Then there's this one woman who I don't even really know... she's always saying, "Why don't you hurry up and get published, darling? It's not that hard..." :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SubZero61992
February 23rd, 2005, 03:51 AM
I have to say I see where SubZero is coming from.
My family and friends are always dying to read my work, and I have some that harass me on when they can buy the 'real' copy like you were saying maus... but there are few people I let read my work. But I would feel really uncomfortable letting my mom read a book that I had written that contained the least bit amount of sexuality or love. It just feels awkward and embarrassing.

That is exactly how I feel.

Joe Bloggs
February 23rd, 2005, 07:10 AM
Some of my friends are impressed I wrote a book, others just ask;

"So... are you a best selling author yet?" sarcastically.

Friends?!
Who needs 'em anyway!

They'll know when I'm a best selling author, because I'll have moved to a luxury villa in Greece and the first and last they'll see of it is a postcard saying,

"Yes I am actually." :D

juzzza
February 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM
My GF hasn't read a single piece of fiction I have written.

My Mum (mom) has copies of the magazines I have appeared in, in her special file :D that she's saving for my own children to look at one day. It also contains write-ups of my fights (boxing) and anything to do with music (articles, adverts, posters, tickets, anything with my name on). She's a fan of the music, but doesn't care for my writing, although she appreciates it is good enough to be published. :rolleyes:

So I'm with the guys and gals who care little, if friends and family read and/or enjoy my writing, it's the very reason I found SFFW in the first place, I was looking for like-minded individuals who would be interested in reading and commenting on fiction. I wasn't looking for new friends, it's just a bonus I found some.