View Full Version : Games that left you cold

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

JamesL
February 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Have you ever bought a game, played it and realized that you don't like it, or that something is not quite right with it? Has any game really let you down?

I bought Lands of Lore 2 years back. Looked sweet, decent reviews, fantasy setting etc...and yet I didn't like it. I tried to like it, i really did. Something however just didn't sit with me quite right.

More recently I bought Pro Evolution Soccer 3. I returned it to the shop the next day. I've no doubt that its a quality game, it's just that I'm a purist and I couldn't handle seeing all these fake teams with fake badges, names, stadiums, etc... You can change all of this - the kits, the badges, the team names...but it just isn't the same. Plus when you change a team's name and the commentator still calls them by the set name, it seems pointless. The commentary sucked as well...Peter Brackley? I don't think I've ever heard him commentate in my life!

Have to say that Resident Evil 0 left me feeling a bit let down as well. I love the first one, but with 0 I think they messed it up with the dual character parts - takes away the suspense when your computer-controlled partner is blasting away at zombies you can't even see... the train bit at the start is quality though...

Finally, the biggest disappointment for me in recent years would be Heroes of Might and Magic 4. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was probably the best TBS fantasy game ever made. Practically flawless. Hugely imaginative, brilliantly made, finely balanced and great, great fun to play. Then they released heroes 4 and it sucked so badly I wanted to cry. Without going into detail they took everything that was so good about Heroes of M and M 3 and changed it. :mad:

What games let you down?

Deku
February 24th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I don't think I've ever got bored of a GBA game so quick, but Robot Wars took crap gaming to a whole new level. The flipper was overpowered, thus meaning every other weapon was a waste of time. You could create your robot but had to choose from 3 chassis, and the circular one wasn't allowed any decent weapons.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, you ditched your copy before me.

JamesL
February 24th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Indeed. Then there was the infamous Robot Wars 2 that you bought me for 3 and I sold back to Game for 5. Nice bit of business... :)

Rocket Sheep
February 25th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I hear wormers aren't going for Worms Forts.

Gregorius_H
February 25th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Yeah... worms forts.... just isn't worms anymore. Even worms 3d was passable... but I wish they'd just go back to the old school 2d worms...

Anyway, I had a similar experience with 'Sacred'. It's a good game, by all accounts, just that... I could never really get into it. I played it hard out for two days... and then forgot completely about it.

Or perhaps it just had something to do with World of Warcraft being released?

JamesL
February 25th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Actually I need to add Morrowind to the list. I've mentioned it elsewhere in this forum so I won't go into detail. Suffice to say that i loved Daggerfall to death and have spent half my life playing it. When the sequel, Morrowind came along, I just couldn't get into it. It is a great game by all accounts but each time I tried to play I just found it to be too different from Daggerfall. :(

Must try and get a game started on it... :rolleyes:

Joe Bloggs
February 25th, 2005, 06:20 AM
I was a bit disappointed with Hitman Contracts.
It was the 3rd game in the series and they'd beefed up the graphics a bit and the early missions were okay, but then the last 4 or 5 missions were basically rehashed missions from Hitman 1.
I did feel a bit cheated as it seemed like I'd bought half a game as the developers ran out of ideas and just remapped a few from the first game.

Shame on them. :mad:

JamesL
February 25th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I was a bit disappointed with Hitman Contracts.
It was the 3rd game in the series and they'd beefed up the graphics a bit and the early missions were okay, but then the last 4 or 5 missions were basically rehashed missions from Hitman 1.
I did feel a bit cheated as it seemed like I'd bought half a game as the developers ran out of ideas and just remapped a few from the first game.

Shame on them. :mad:

This sadly is indicative of the industry these days. Many developers are simply churning out sequels that merely tend to improve on the original in terms of graphics and little else. This is partly true of Halo 2 - there were some nice new touches but otherwise it was hardly different at all. Then again, if it ain't broke... :rolleyes:

kater
February 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Halo 2 stands up there just for the ending and the absolute mire of Microsoft's intentions regarding the game.
After the first Resident Evil I just couldn't get into any of the others although RE4 looks like a proper sequel for the first time rather just rehashing the same game over and over.
Mario - I'm sure there are loads of fans out there but for me it just wasn't exciting, like some of Nintendo's other big brands you either get them or not, no inbetween.
As JL said Pro Evo, great game but its so close to being the same game four times over that I never bothered after the first one.
Fable - what a letdown, great ideas bottled by aiming the game at 'all ages' *shudder*
THUG 2 - what happened? Talk about ballsing a franchise, that blew, no more please.
Virtua Fighter/Soul Calibur/Dead or Alive/ any WWF/E game - sorry but all this supposed 'depth' in VF/SC just don't see it, two games I have regretted purchasing. DOA - better than Tekken, meh, not a chance and I can't stand WWF/E games, even the newer ones have clunky control systems and so much crap around the game that you never feel like your in control.

But the worst offender was Sonic 3D - take a great playable game and turn it into a psychedelic steaming pile, now there's innovation :rolleyes:

Deku
February 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
But the worst offender was Sonic 3D - take a great playable game and turn it into a psychedelic steaming pile, now there's innovation

Man dont get me started on that. When I Think back to that, it horrifies me. Sure as a naive kid I played it but now I just want to play the platformers like the Sonic Advance series and the old classics. Sonic never should have gone 3D, simply as you cannot appreciate the beauty of each environment he explores and although I haven't played any of the 'cube titles, it seems like it's going more for this flash style of play rather than the classic sidescrolling adventures.

I would love for them to continue making the platformer Sonic Games for the GBA, but already a title is in development for the DS, which will mostly make the most of the innovative features of this console. I think Sonic's platforming days are over.