View Full Version : Rating short stories/poems

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zanzibar
March 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM
This is a question for all those who post short stories or poems in this website's Community section, and for all others who read them. It seems to me that people do not often rate these works and only rarely provide feedback. The whole purpose of this place, as I see it, is to recieve criticism (hopefully constructive and none too mean :) ).

For those who take the time to read these stories/poems, why aren't you rating them?

MrBF1V3
March 1st, 2005, 06:13 PM
There was a thread where we talked about this before, but I can't remember where it is.

When I read I usually rate. Sometimes I want to think about the story before I rate it, so I have to come back. When I do a rating it kicks me out, and I have to load up the story again to make comments. So, there is a count of three, and it's all just me. I only make comments when I feel like I have something constructive to say.

That's just me, of course. You will notice there are more non-menbers touristing through this site than members, they may or may not rate anything they find here.

The best way to get feedback seems to be 1) Post a story in the community section. 2) Start a thread in this area asking for feeback. If you ask specific questions, you get specific answers. If you can't figure out how, a helpful Mod will come around sometime and add a link to your story.

You won't get a ton of people answering you, but what you get will be more detailed than the usual, "I enjoyed the story" commments you will get in the community section.

B5

michaelS0620
March 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM
Most people don't check the community section on a regular basis, so the best way is to post the story there, then post a thread in this board along with a link.

michaelS0620
March 1st, 2005, 08:06 PM
Of course, I forgot the other unwritten rule. Make sure you critique others' as well. People who spend time critiquing others work will find the favor repaid when they post something.

Michael

tooeviltoknow
March 2nd, 2005, 02:31 AM
What you say is true. However, you must take into account these factors.
1) Your story is too long, try breaking it down.
2) Like MrBF1V3 says, most people only make comments when they have something constructive to say.
3) Time. Everyone here has other committment as well.
4) They're too lazy.
5) Last but not least, maybe it's because your story (in theory that is) sux... why bother waste the time, I guess.
These are just some of the things that I believe, of course.

P.S. Thanks for your feedback on Nin Ahura (Mistress of the Gods), Zanzibar. Part two is out, go check it out and tell me what you think.

P.S.S What's a thread, I have no clue how to use most of these things, being new and all to this website.

Zanzibar
March 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
Well, thanks a bunch everyone, though this was less about the stories I've posted and more about the rating system in general. When I started reading stories I rated every one and posted comments on more than a few. It was then that I noticed the lack of feedback from most people, especially with the comments section.

I realize that most people do not read the whole story after accessing it (especially if they see a number higher than three or four for pages :)) and I don't think this trend will change much, even with new members coming into the community. The archives are much the same and are where I draw this assumption from (except for Briarius. Damn that's a lot of votes).

Anywho, I think tourists should be disallowed (no malignancy here, I just think it would encourage feedback amongst those of us who are members). Anyone agree?

tooeviltoknow
March 2nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
"Tourists should be disallowed," I don't know about that... tourist is what gets us members as well. Its like a double bladed sword, what can kill your foes can also harm you... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

juzzza
March 2nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Yea I hear ya, a few of mine have been read over 100 times and yet have six ratings :confused:

But I disagree that lurkers (or tourists) should not be allowed to read stories.

I throw the challenge back at you, mate. Write a story so damn good a tourist simply HAS to register to tell you how great it is. :)

Zanzibar
March 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Lol. Hey Juzzza, use your powers of Moderation to convince the site hosts to FORCE tourists to vote before letting them leave. Problem solved, I think (and I won't have to write the best short story in the universe).

(Thanks for your input on Amnesia, Evil!)

Holbrook
March 2nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
.Zanzibar:

Thanks for your comments on Aderyn Nyth. That is a half hearted attempt to put into words the beginning of a sequel to a monster of a book I have written

The tongue-twisting names are all real words. Welsh actually and the word they translate into in English mean something with in the context of the story.

The sword My-manwy = my fine or rare one and she is....

http://home.arachsys.com/~chris/sue/my%20manwy.jpg