View Full Version : How to get serious about writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Will_Antilles
May 7th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Hi, All

I am back again. Here is the deal I want to know how to get serious about writing? I love to write but a fear of mine if I have a deadline or some publisher or agent screaming at me I won't love it any more. but for a long while I have serious thought about writing for a living but the straved artist thing scares somewhat not like I am not starving now http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif! dot com causlaty! Also I was wondering does anyone know what magazines publish short stories or something to that nature. Well thanks again.

Will

KATS
May 8th, 2001, 01:23 PM
I love these questions. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif I highly recommend getting a subscription to Writer’s Digest. I learned so much from that magazine. Some of the articles don’t apply but many do. Also, in the research section of the book store you can find books on markets. There is a book called the 2001 Novel & Short Story Writer’s Market. I haven’t been able to purchase that book as I usually get the 2001 Writer’s Market first. Also, it was the only one that was in stock at the book store.

I hate to sound pessimist but, . . . Most writers do not earn enough money to quit their day job. And as far as deadlines go, at least for the first few books, you should have the book finished before you sell it. Which means there is no deadline.

Gotenks_32288
May 13th, 2001, 12:30 PM
I, too, have deeply considered writing full time. When I am old enough I'll try to get a book published. If it is successul then YAY!!! If it isn't then YAY!!! I'll still be having fun!

pooh
May 23rd, 2001, 11:39 AM
It's simple: set aside an hour and a half a day where you will do nothing but focus on writing. That'll give you free time to focus, won't overwhelm you, and will help you start to condition yourself to the marathon that is writing.

Bardos
May 24th, 2001, 12:29 AM
How to get serious about writing?

Write!
Let nothing stop you.