PDA

View Full Version : What the hell are elves?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zanzibar
March 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Oy, everyone.

I've a question to ask: how would you describe your elf? I've heard many theories (pointy-eared humans, three-foot high fairies with gossamar wings, etc.). I know they're all based on real world mythology (well, nearly always anyway) but what's ideal to you?

JRMurdock
March 3rd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Elves are human-esque. Slightly smaller than a human by a head. Ears are longer (should I say taller) and pointed. They have sharp features that are perfectly symetrical. They are a slender folk and move with grace and elegance. Elves don't hurry, but may hasten. Being eternal beings they speak with slowness and purpose.

Elves are not beings to rush to judgement and may take a great deal of time to adress a given situation. When one has eternity to contemplate (when compared with humans) what's the rush?

michaelS0620
March 3rd, 2005, 01:08 AM
As the Dragon Lance Chronicles comprised my first literary contact with Elves, that version (and by extension Tolkein's) has always informed my vision. Slighter taller than humans (on average) and thinner. Long hair, pointed ears. Magical, aloof, distant, nearly immortal, and just a tad arrogant.

Expendable
March 3rd, 2005, 01:51 AM
In my stories, like Maus99, my elves are shorter than humans. Like humans, they can be both good, evil or indifferent and capable of deep cruelty. They're not immortal but they're incredibly long lived. Conversations are slow and meaningful, lasting days. They enjoy both knowledge and the outside.

The males don't grow beards or mustashes. Neither sexes have hair in their arm pits. Both sexes have the characteristic pointed ears.

Some tolerate men but most would agree that humans smell.

Some elves have bred with the Fae or faries and the children take strange and unusual forms. It's because of this that many get confused on what an elf may look like.

Holbrook
March 3rd, 2005, 06:08 AM
Don't know don't write about about elves or any other "race"

I only write about dragons/firedrakes or wizards/mages if my arm is twisted by the man in the big hat.

juzzza
March 3rd, 2005, 06:32 AM
The average height of my Elves (pronounced El~vers) is 7'2", they have blue-ish skin, and all have swollen bellies and three belly buttons (one is an outy, the other two are innies). The female Elves have four breasts and usually have a litter of babies between four and six at a time. Because of this, usually the smallest two or four, die and are consumed by the larger four babies. They have pointy ears when born, but is fashionable amongst elves to remove the ears at birth.

They love the taste of human flesh, especially female, human flesh and our eyeballs are considered a delicacy. They have a low tolerance to Carbohydrate and spin into beserker attacks if too much sugar or complex carbs are consumed.

Their language is a series of clicks and whistles but they can use human language if they must. It sounds very high-pitched and slow to our ears.

Or to put it another way, whatever the hell you want them to be!

Lifino
March 3rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Thought this was fitting:
http://www.kevscartoons.com/elves.gif

God I love the internet...

Miriamele
March 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Can't wait to read the stories about your pot-bellied, tri-naveled, four-breasted elves, Juzz. Should make for some interesting sex scenes. :rolleyes: :D

My own breed of "elves," although I would never call them that, are a bit stronger and more intelligent than men, and much longer-lived, but that's about it. By appearance, they blend in with men quite nicely, which works for my story. God help me if I give them pointy ears. :)

Merancapeman
March 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
My thought on elves is that they are like some of the ones you have described. Long ears, slender, ect. Mine are environmentalists, and are almost exactly like humans in the respect that they are closley like Native-Americans, only a little less primitave and a little more flexible. Maybe even flexible in a bad way. They are wise, and are more quiet. Their body structure, however, is more odd. They can eat and talk at the same time due to a different body structure. They have smaller lungs, so they don't breath loud or much at all. This proves efficient in stealth.

Crow
March 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
They have smaller lungs, so they don't breath loud or much at all. This proves efficient in stealth.

How would that work out? That sounds like they'd just have to breathe more.