PDA

View Full Version : SF Book - Need Title/Author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Clues42
March 3rd, 2005, 07:09 AM
Hello All, after googling around a bit this forum seemed the best place to find what I need.

I read a great science fiction book years ago as a Jr. high student and I want to read it again, but of course do not remember the author/title. So I'm hoping I can give a synopsis the story as I can recall it, and someone can help me out.

Synopsis: Set in a future society controlled by psychiatrists, in which everybody drinks an orangish Tang-like vitamin/health drink each night that wipes their minds. In the mornings the first thing they do is look at a terminal/computer/screen in their bedroom and it tells them everything they need to know about themselves for that day (family, job, friends, things to do that day). The main character is a young man with a father and mother in something like a middle class home.

The young man meets a girl from another part of the community/town, and this girl doesn't partake of the drink diligently like the society wants everybody to. She tells him to meet her again and not to drink the drink so he can remember her. So the young man skips out on the drink and follows this girl to her side of the community, something like a lower class apartment building. He meets her family, who also don't drink the drink so diligently, and around the apartments sees a group of young boys primally chasing and killing a parrot/bird.

He gets in trouble with the powers that be somehow, and that way meets the Dr. that oversees the community. His parents are not reminded of him by their terminals anymore, and he is shipped off to a small agricultural labor camp that grows the plant needed for the drink. At the camp you don't have to drink the drink, and the young man enjoys working in the fields and his body getting fit and tan and his mind his own. People at the camp sometimes walk off, and there is a belief that there is a community of the runaways out there somewhere, either that or they die or wander alone. The book ends with the young man leaving the camp and walking off into the fields hoping it exists and to find it.

Okay... That's everything I remember. It was probably in a young adult science fiction section of a public library or the science fiction section of my junior high library.

I have to read this book again!!! Thanks in advance.

Kamakhya
March 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
Wow...interesting. I have never heard of this book, but it is certainly reminiscent of 1984 and Logan's Run. Sounds like something I'd like to read! :)

Clues42
March 4th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Exactly. It is a great analogy for what's going on in our pill-popping society that obtains self-identity from a television screen. I have GOT to find this book!!!

I'm getting so desperate I might go visit my old Jr. High (3.5 hours drive away) to see if the librarian has records of the books in the science fiction section at that time. The public library as well... I forget which library I had gotten it from.

Anybody got an idea? Or can point me in the right direction? I tried slake.com but it sucks.

grigori
March 4th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Exactly. It is a great analogy for what's going on in our pill-popping society that obtains self-identity from a television screen. I have GOT to find this book!!!

I'm getting so desperate I might go visit my old Jr. High (3.5 hours drive away) to see if the librarian has records of the books in the science fiction section at that time. The public library as well... I forget which library I had gotten it from.

Anybody got an idea? Or can point me in the right direction? I tried slake.com but it sucks.

that does sound like a great book, it reminds me a little of the Ursula leGuin story, Walking Away from Almaeus, sorry if thats wrong,
new to all this, some friend who's a scifi poet mentioned the forumm but, yeah, tang is terrible, the astroanaut's drink, no :confused: about that, let me know if you find it, i've had the same feeling lately, ever since i read some paper abut identity voids

Clues42
March 4th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking about it some more...

I remember the parrot incident was a pretty big deal, like the character zoned out staring at its corpse and overwhelmed by the primalness of it all. Could've been the turning point when he decided to stop drinking the drink and be of his own mind, but I'm not sure.

The setting.. was like... an author in the perspective of the 80's writing a scifi book in a fictional not-so-far-future (there were no hovering space ships or anything, just this society that had been decided upon by the doctors. The purpose being to keep everybody happy. I think. GAH!!! So frustrating.

Thanks for your contribution grigori... The book you mention is not it unfortunately. The drink is just some powder they mix that makes an orangish drink... I remember the main character's mother harping on him for missing his drink, saying it was good for him, etc. I didn't mean Tang literally... just something very tanglike.

Expendable
March 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Anything else you can remember about the book like a character's name or a name of a city or town will help. This one's hard to find.

skwirlinator
March 7th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Mind Killer
The Golden Age
SpinState
Excessive Candor
Between to Worlds
The Transparent Society
The long sun books(Gene Wolfe)