PDA

View Full Version : Who wrote this....?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

dannym999
March 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I have been struggling to identify author and title of some old SF stories that we had to read at school. I would like to track them down again but have no idea of author or title. I can remember a rough plot, so if anyone recognizes either one, please put me out of my misery.....

1). First story involves a patrol of soldiers (?) going through a deserted city. One of them goes to investigate something in a building and get swallowed up by some slumbering machine which them proceeds to slit him open and replace all his internal organs with machines. Thirty seconds later he has been sewn up again and is back again with his patrol. How the story goes from there, I can't remember.

2). First person is chasing second person around the galaxy. Regardless of which planet he tracks the second person down to, he arrives always just a fraction too late to catch him and is apparently fated never to catch his prey as he will always arrive just a fraction to late or early.

I seem to remember that these stories were part of a collection of short stories. Maybe someone can help me here. THANKS in advance.

tdeanatoz@yahoo
March 4th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Question #2 could be "Galactic North" by Alastair Reynolds, although there was a definite resolution to that chase. In it, thousands of years go by in the rest of the galaxy, but the protagonist doing the chasing did not care.

NoneShallPass
March 16th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Is the first one "The City" by Ray Bradbury? does that sound right? It appeared in The Illustrated Man.

dannym999
March 16th, 2005, 01:44 AM
"The city" sounds promising and now that you mention it, I believe that we did read "The illustrated man" at school. I'll check that out at the nearest book shop. Thanks...

dannym999
March 30th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Indeed it was "The City" from The Illustrated Man and the other story was "The Man", also from The Illustrated Man. Thanks, now I can sleep better (oh, and I really enjoyed rereading this great book)