PDA

View Full Version : help

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

marymoonshine
March 5th, 2005, 03:20 AM
i know this maybe a silly question to ask but none the less i will ask it. What on earth is meant by unsolicited and how would i go about getting a piece de-unsolicited?

Holbrook
March 5th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Unsolicited means they have not requested you to submit a manuscript.

To get "solicited" you have either written a query letter to a publisher and then they have requested to see your novel or you have an Literary Agent representing you and they put a proposal/novel in front of the publisher on your behalf.

An agent will take a percentage of your earnings when they sell your work, so they are very picky about who they take on. They have to believe they can sell the work, even then they might not. They are taking a risk with you as much as you are taking a risk with them. (Oh beware agents that request a fee from you before they do anything. Agents don't do that, some charge a reading fee though so be careful to whom you send your work)

There are a number of publishers that take unsolicited work i.e. you send it on the off chance they might read it and like it. A number of threads here list these publishers.

marymoonshine
March 5th, 2005, 03:37 AM
so baisically if i want to get my work published i have to either wirte a letter to the publishers before hand asking them whether they want to see my story or i hvae to send it to an agent who will then send it to a publisher?

Holbrook
March 5th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Yes OR send it to a magazine or publisher that accepts unsolicited manuscripts, that is they will read stories just sent to them. You need to read the submission guidelines on the publisher/magazine's website to find out if you can just send the work to them.

You can look at this web site for information on publishers...

http://ralan.com/

marymoonshine
March 5th, 2005, 03:52 AM
thanks very much for your help