View Full Version : mannerisms

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

marymoonshine
March 6th, 2005, 08:54 AM
i need your help ineed some mannerisms.Ive got nervous tick, crunchingnuckles, biting nails, twitching nose/eye/ear, frantic tapping of hand/feet, biting bottom lip but i just cant think of any more

Miriamele
March 6th, 2005, 09:02 AM
The best way to get ideas for human behaviour is to observe real people. Next time you're on the bus or in a restaurant, look (inconspiciously of course) at the people around you. I'm sure you'll notice people with unusual mannerisms you never could have thought of on your own.

The mannerisms you described are all nervous habits. One I might add is the tendency of some young women to always be playing with their hair, smoothing it behind their ear or twirling it around a finger.

Good luck with your writing.

michaelS0620
March 6th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I agree about observing people. Even if they aren't doing certain things out of nervousness, it could give you ideas. If you are looking for nervous habits, for a character to display, I would think more broadly. Biting nails and tapping feet and twitching are all habits which are well known and have been done a lot.

coming up with a nervous habit that isn't typicak can give your character a uniqueness that makes him/her more real. They could rub their index finger and thumb together. Or grind their teeth (which I do). Or bite their cheek (which I also do).

Michael

JRMurdock
March 6th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Not just nervous mannerisms, watch people for ANY mannerism. Anxiousness, curiosity, boredom, contentment. What do people look like when they are in these states. This will help you describe people and not just write something like 'She was happy'. It'll allow you to describe the person and allow the reader to go 'she's happy'.

As a good writer, you must observe people, events, and all the elements around you. This will give you the ability to describe a very vivid scene and draw the reader in.

Holbrook
March 6th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I think you can divide "mannerisms" into two sections.

One; Nervious habits like picking at finger nails and biting of bottom lips etc...

Two: the actions people do as they sit and talk for example, the items you include to give an all round picture to your reader of what is happening. Was working on something like this, yesterday.

Carter picked up the glass and rolled the stem between his index finger and thumb. “One person would know.”

“The Order’s Seer Confessor, yes he would know, but he would not tell. He is sworn to silence on the bones of the Seer with regards to the identity of those he confesses before they accept the gift. Besides who is the current one? I don’t know, do you?” Harrison said nonchalantly as he laid down his fish knife. He took his large white napkin and dabbed the corner of his mouth, then placed it down on the table. Carter noticed Harrison’s fingers fiddle with the corner of the linen, then he looked up his eyes hooking Carter’s. Carter became aware that he was being invited to speak, but he knew he had to be careful, one wrong word would end the conversation before it had begun.

The soft sound of a string quartet filtered through the heavy drapes. Harrison’s finger now tapped in time to the music. It was plain he was waiting for an answer. Carter leant his elbows on the table and clasped his hands before him as he mentally rehearsed the words he wanted to say. He then picked up the lobster claw and removed the last small fraction of white flesh and ate it, gesturing with the pink shell as he spoke.

Expendable
March 6th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Nervous?

Figets, wide-eyed, blushes easily, head jerks, avoids eye contact, blinks alot, jiggles keys or coins in pocket, trembling, coughs or clears throat alot, sweaty palms, strained voice, strained smile, stammers when they speak, trying too hard to pretend nothing's wrong, reacts strongly to certain words or loud noises, extremely self-conscious, pale....

marymoonshine
March 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
The best way to get ideas for human behaviour is to observe real people. Next time you're on the bus or in a restaurant, look (inconspiciously of course) at the people around you. I'm sure you'll notice people with unusual mannerisms you never could have thought of on your own.

im actualy quite an observant person but i just seem to be having porblems noticing mannerisms. i come from a fairly excentric family and we all have a touch of ocd (obsessive compulsive behaviour) but then again i just believe that they're forces of habit. Most of my family have the same mannerisms though, and most of my friends dont really get into states because theyr'e too laid back or theyre too excitable and i cant notice because they do things too fast. i often get funny looks when im watching people aswell :)
Maybe thats just because i live in england lol

Expendable
March 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
mmmmm, I miss Yorkshire.

Pair of cheap sunglasses and don't stare directly at people, look past them.

marymoonshine
March 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM
lol i dont think il get away with it aty the moment since weve been having a bit of snow.

Where abouts in yorkshire?

Expendable
March 6th, 2005, 12:16 PM
In and around Harrogate. It was a fun place to be at.

And sunglasses are great for snow, cuts down on the glare.