SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Expendable
March 7th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi, I need some help for a story.

My idea is for a virtual online world that people access by wearing a special headphones/visor combo that allows them to talk, hear and see in stereoscopic vision, plus some simple controls that allow them to move an avatar they created.

What I need is a sort of casual meeting place where people gather to socialize. Maybe a virtual bar?

I also need a name for a place like this.

Thank you
--Ex.

tooeviltoknow
March 7th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Cyberzone or cyber cafe, Abigor, Agaures, Sijjin .. as you can see, I'm not good with names.

Your story reminds me of Avalon by Mamoru Osh. Check it out, it might give you some ideas.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000D9PNY/qid=1110258274/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-8381225-1871846?v=glance&s=dvd

MrBF1V3
March 7th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I've written a story along the same lines, kind of, actually, there was that kind of setting is in one segment. I called it the Chateau Gaia.

I didn't really go into the "how" of the virtual world, I assumed a much more direct interface. I centered on the characters that were there and what was happening to them.

B5

PS--I posted the story I mentioned in the community. I had been thinking about doing it for a while. :)

Rocket Sheep
March 7th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Have you read Snow Crash?

Expendable
March 8th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Have you read Snow Crash?

I've read Snow Crash and Neuromancer, plus I've seen the anime .Hack//Sign. One of my avatars got into a shot for MacAddict when I was on Palace. I've been in Adobe's Atmosphere, Cybertown, Furcadia, AlphaWorld and for awhile, The Sims Online.

Sparhawke
March 8th, 2005, 03:09 AM
How about "The Message Board?"

Be a nice nod to forum culture.

Dawnstorm
March 8th, 2005, 04:23 AM
My idea is for a virtual online world that people access by wearing a special headphones/visor combo that allows them to talk, hear and see in stereoscopic vision, plus some simple controls that allow them to move an avatar they created.

What's the purpose of this world (= Why would I want to go in there)? For fun? Alternate Reality (tripping)? Multi-functional?

Can you rent "space"? Restrict access? Are there "offices" to contact the admins?

What I need is a sort of casual meeting place where people gather to socialize. Maybe a virtual bar?

I also need a name for a place like this.

The above questions are important, because I wonder about who meets there. Depending on how mixed the clientele is, I'd go for the bar, or perhaps...

...an entire simulated city square with a park in the middle (always nice weather of course) for people who are uncomfortable with a bar. Arranged in a half circle around the park there could be various establishments, like said bar, gaming halls or whatever... all rather small, and perhaps with chairs'n'tables in front...

In the middle of the park there could be a column where you can pin up messages (looking for this that, thank you notes...).

Make it all sunny shiny happy land, call it the Interzone and have a dirty old man comment that it's nothing like anything William Burrows imagined in Naked Lunch, so they know you didn't pinch the name, but it's a reference.

;)

Expendable
March 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM
What's the purpose of this world (= Why would I want to go in there)? For fun? Alternate Reality (tripping)? Multi-functional?

Can you rent "space"? Restrict access? Are there "offices" to contact the admins? ;)

It suppose to be fun but multi-functional. People can rent space and create objects for 'sale', or buy objects from programmed bots.

The above questions are important, because I wonder about who meets there. Depending on how mixed the clientele is, I'd go for the bar, or perhaps...

...an entire simulated city square with a park in the middle (always nice weather of course) for people who are uncomfortable with a bar. Arranged in a half circle around the park there could be various establishments, like said bar, gaming halls or whatever... all rather small, and perhaps with chairs'n'tables in front...

In the middle of the park there could be a column where you can pin up messages (looking for this that, thank you notes...).

Make it all sunny shiny happy land, call it the Interzone and have a dirty old man comment that it's nothing like anything William Burrows imagined in Naked Lunch, so they know you didn't pinch the name, but it's a reference.

;)

not just one place but a community, I like it. :)

PaxNoctis
March 8th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Starbucks.

Bring your laptops, unlimited coffee and cake, comfortable seating, and they let you sit as long as you want. It's what I do with my crit group, and it works out great.

~Pax

Expendable
March 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Starbucks.

Bring your laptops, unlimited coffee and cake, comfortable seating, and they let you sit as long as you want. It's what I do with my crit group, and it works out great.

~Pax

Thanx Pax, but I'm thinking of a fictitious online community, sort of like the electronic equivilent of Callahan's Place without being Callahan's Place.