PDA

View Full Version : How is World War 2 Online?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Glelas
March 9th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I know this game had a rough start but seemed to hang on and make some much needed changes. Anyone playing this?

Bitter Buffalo
March 16th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I tried really hard for about two months to play it. But I was unable to get it to run without crashing on my Computer. And it's not just me, their support forum is filled with people having problems with this game and ATi Video cards. Game runs fine if you a Nvidia card I guess, but lots of trouble for ATi users.

I think the idea of the game is great and would happily give them my money every month to play it if it would only run on my computer, but alas it was not to be. :(

From what I can tell there is a fair amount of dedicated WWIIonline players out there so this game should be around for awhile. I know they are discussing a new North African theatre and other expansions. If you want to try before you buy they offer free trials all the time and you can download all the files needed cause I don't think you can buy the game in stores anymore.

But beware of one thing, this is more of a Sim game than arcade shoot-em-up. So if your looking for quick action this is not the game for you, it's more "Operation Flashpoint" than "Battlefied:1942".

milamber_reborn
March 20th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Even if they fixed all the problems, the graphics were outdated several years ago. Wait for the Battlefield sequal.

Bitter Buffalo
March 21st, 2005, 02:45 AM
Yeah BF2 well certainly rock, but it's focus is modern day combat not WWII. And it's max 64 players (which is usually a strech unless you have God's own server) WWII Online has thousands of players. It's a true massive multiplayer game. It's true that the graphics of WIIOnline are dated, but their not terrible. And for the game's focus on realism over flashiness their just about right IMHO. :)

WWII Online Screenshots (http://www5.playnet.com/bv/wwiiol/media.jsp)
Checkout those screens, not too bad considering.

milamber_reborn
March 22nd, 2005, 02:34 AM
Seems the developer has worked hard on it. Perhaps they have a sequal in the pipeline, as the concept was brilliant and they can certainly learn from their many mistakes.

woolly
April 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
BF 1942 doesn't have the same scale of play as WW2OL, so it's comparing apples and oranges. As Buffalo said, this is not the game for quick shooters-BF 1942 is checkers...WW2Ol is Chess.

I have worked through my fair share of ATI problems in WW2OL, and now the game runs great (40-60fps with no crashes and very littel lag). If you'd like to give it a try I could possibly set you up with a trial account for a week and help you get past the (steep) learning curve.

Drop me a note at woolly@sghq.com and we'll talk.

(edited to correct my crummy spelling)

Bitter Buffalo
April 22nd, 2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the invite, but I'm still having problems with WWII Online and my current hardware config. I've identified the problem and it lays with the combo of my ATi 9800 card and the VIA KT400 chipset drivers. Unfortunately VIA hasn't found a satisfactory fix for this problem yet. And since I'm close to a total computer overhaul/upgrade anyways, I'm just going to wait a few months until I get my new system (non VIA chipset this time) up and running and then I might get into WW2Online. If, that is, BF2 doesn't get in the way. ;)