View Full Version : Quote

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Duke_Sandre
April 27th, 2001, 10:44 PM
I found an interesting quote in a scifi/fantasy/horror author dictionary.

"Women write for women where as men simply write"

What are your thoughts on this?

Hans
April 28th, 2001, 01:13 AM
True, but it is changing. Women writers are writing for both genders, where before they tend to write just for females.

Metosblat
April 28th, 2001, 02:42 AM
Does the quote mean that women write for female audiences or that their main characters are from the perspective of a woman?

Duke_Sandre
April 28th, 2001, 02:59 AM
I believe it meant that women write for a female audience, though it could mean both

KATS
April 28th, 2001, 06:38 PM
I disagree vehemently. First of all it seems to be a condescending statement, insinuating that men are better authors because they ďsimplyĒ write. (Of course I could be overreacting.) But letís try to re-write it this way and see if it still sounds condescending, Black authors write for a black audience, whereas white authors simply write.

Secondly, I donít think it is true. I donít think that either men or women write for a particular audience. I think most people just write, without the audience in mind. A particular author may be perceived as writing to a certain audience. This perception is based on the fact that a particular audience has, for whatever reason, found a connection with the author. It could be because of an insight the author may have or simply the authors style. But that does not mean that the author wrote with that audience in mind.

By the way, how do you write for women? Seriously, Iím curious. Exactly what type of stories do you perceive as being ďwomenísĒ stories?

I am a women. I doubt I am an exception. I simply write the type of stories I like to read. I happen to like several women and male authors. I would hope that my stores would in turn appeal to both men and women.

OK. Iím going to stop writing as Iím getting more pissed off the more Iím thinking about this.

Bardos
April 28th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Kats, that's the ideal (and the right thing to do, IMHO) you pointed out. Though, some people (men, women, alliens -I don't care) do write for a certain audience/cause. In my opinion, that's not real art (literature); it's a text through which you try to convince someone...

Metosblat
April 29th, 2001, 02:03 AM
I agree with Kats and I don't think your overeacting Kats. If, like you said, it was a statement concerning Races it would be considered racist. But, although this statement does seem sexist doesn't mean there's no truth to it. For example i'll use the race thing again stating that: Black men are better at sprinting than white men. Now this doesn't neccesarily mean black men (as a race) are better than white men(as a race) at sprinting. White men could possibly one day beat and take the world record from the black men who now dominate sprinting. It just means that more black men concentrate on sprinting than white men. I think the same thing applies with swimming. If you've ever seen a swimming final in the olympics you'd be lucky to see one black man in the lineup.
So I think that this statement is saying that even though there are exceptions to the rule, that there is a high concentration of female authors who do focus on a female audience.

[This message has been edited by Metosblat (edited April 29, 2001).]

KATS
April 29th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Then give me some examples and quotes from interviews where they admit to writing for a female audience.

Metosblat
April 29th, 2001, 08:49 PM
The evidence isn't from the author it's from the audience. If a female author has a majority of female fans she can't very well say she writes for everyone. Even if she does it unconciously, or if that is just the way she writes it doesn't really take away from the fact the she IS writing for the particular audience she has obtained.

KATS
April 30th, 2001, 03:26 AM
Oh, . . . I see.