PDA

View Full Version : Naive but ambitious. Please advise.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ken Floro III
March 17th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Salutations,

I'm an aspiring word-slinger, new to the SFFW community. Is it possible I could impose on anyone's patience for some advice? I've been spelunking through the threads like a madman but couldn't find anything directly related to the eternal crusade for publication - although I have discovered some dandy links so far. Would anyone be willing to share some veteran insights, or point me to a thread I've missed?

Also, since I don't fancy coming off as a brash newcomer, I'd greatly appreciate any tips on forum etiquette - beyond the basic guidelines. How soon is too soon to start posting threads inviting critiques of stories posted in the Community Section? How much self-promotion is kosher? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Etc. Any advice along these lines would be groovy. Thanks.

MrBF1V3
March 17th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Newcomer is relative here. Welcome, BTW.

The rules in the "announcement" thread are pretty accurate and worth looking at. If you really mess up, the Mods will let you know. Check your spelling and stuff, people notice, people give you a hard time. (Take it as fun, not an attack at all.)

I might add . . . um . . . never use the word "Groovy" again.
... having ... flashback ... paisley ... taking ... over ... :eek:

There is info on publication, sometimes you have to dig, try the "post your progress" thread. Lots of good info there. Or, like you just did, ask.

As far as inviting critiques on stories you've posted in the community section. You can do that any time. I personally waited until I knew a few people, and was known--just to get you out of the "who is this guy and why should I critique his story" stage. (Also, it does help to know who they are too) --Be aware, most of the critiques are picked up by a few people, but the feedback you get is usually awesome. A bit of give and take is helpful here as well.

B5

PS--It's 802,701, but that's just me. :)

Crow
March 18th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Groovy is fine, Ash says it in Army of Darkness.

KatG
March 19th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Publication and marketing stuff does come up from time to time. Right now, I'm picking people's brains for info on likely short story markets in the "Post Your Progress" Thread. It's best to ask a specific question on whatever issue might be troubling you. While the writers here are scattered all over the globe and market circumstances may be a bit different depending on the country, there's usually someone who knows something useful.

You can go ahead and set up a critique thread for your story. Just put the word "Critique" in the thread title, so people know, and provide a link to the posted story.

Ken Floro III
March 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
My thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. I've been investigating the "Post Your Progress" Thread, which is where I've found most of the info I've gathered so far. In the future, I foresee myself spending a great deal of time there. If there's anything I can do to return the favor, like critique or feedback, let me know. I'd be happy to check out anyone's work.

PS: Army of Darkness - ah, you've discovered the source of my powers!

skwirlinator
March 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I have shared some stuff I found with my fellow CoolSciFiers

http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3169
The Costs of Writing

http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3314
Writer Beware

http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3344
12 Pitfalls of Writing Science Fiction

http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3001
Published Writers trying to help you

http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3000
Getting Paid to Write

Here is a site for Marketing your works.

This page contains links to Web pages of paying markets for short science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories. For more information that might be useful to new writers, see Writing speculative fiction.
Please send email to m s l e e @ c s . c m u . e d u if you know of any other markets I should add.

Markets which offer a range of pay-rates are listed under their lowest pay-rate.

* Markets paying at least 3 cents per word
* Markets paying at least 1 cent per word
* Markets paying less than 1 cent per word
* Australian speculative fiction markets (maintained by Tony Plank)
* Other SF/F/H Publications/Organizations
More marketing Links

The Write Market

Quote:
Main Categories
· Articles
Fiction & Novels, Inspiration, Legal· Arts and Hobbies
Markets, Publishers· Childrens
Markets, Publishers· Comedy
Markets, Publishers· Contests & Awards
April, August, December· Fiction
Markets, Publishers· Genealogy
Markets, Publishers· General Markets
· General Publishers
E-Pub, Self-Pub· Greeting Cards
Markets, Publishers· Health
Markets, Publishers· History
Markets, Publishers· Literary Services
Education, Organizations· Mystery
Markets, Publishers· Non-Fiction
Markets, Publishers· Other Resources
Freelance, Names, Playwriting· Parenting
Markets, Publishers· Pets and Animals
Markets, Publishers· Poetry
Markets, Publishers· Print Media
Magazines, Newspapers· Reference
Authors, Crime, Geneolgy· Religion and Spirit
Markets, Publishers· Romance
Markets, Publishers· Sci-Fi
Markets, Publishers· Sports and Outdoors
Markets, Publishers· Trade Markets
· Travel
Markets, Publishers· Young Writers
Markets, Publishers

There are 1200 Links and 103 Categories in our database
The Market List
Quote:
The Market List - A Writers Resource for all Fiction Genres
www.marketlist.com is the original electronic writers market resource. Started in 1994 as an online ezine on AOL and Compuserve, and with the first fully comprehensive writers market guidelines index online, The Market List has a ten year history of providing aspiring and professional writers with potential markets for their fiction. This year, we are completely updating our site, adding new features and writers resources, and thousands of additional fiction markets. Keep checking back for additional features for writers.

I hope something here helps!

Ken Floro III
March 21st, 2005, 05:48 PM
Wow! That's a goldmine of information. Thank you so much. I promise to put this to good use. I've been butting my head against Fantasy & Science Fiction's doors to no avail. Now I have new places to learn patience and humility.

It was also revealing to learn about Publish America. Unfortunately I have a novel snared in their dubious jaws. Not quite so proud of an accomplishment after all, it seems. Well, at least it this confirms all the sneaking suspicions I've been having. Thanks again.

Abby
March 21st, 2005, 11:25 PM
Welcome, Ken Floro III! (Is that your real name? Hey, I once knew a Cory Rocco Florimente III)

You're in good company. We're all here because we think we have great potential and we want to get published. I saw your other post in the progress thread, and in response--I'm lighting that ignition fire under your ass. :D

I've been writing stories since age 3 (though I've improved since then), and trying to get published since age 22 or so. I'm currently 27. The dream continues to elude me. I have made some headway, though--I attended the Odyssey workshop this past year, had a number of short story publications, and one of my novels is under consideration with an agent for the first time.

Best wishes!

MrBF1V3
March 22nd, 2005, 01:29 AM
Yo! K3:

Since you haven't constructed a critique thread yet, I'll just use this one.

I just read your story, "The Stranger" in the community section. (I've been a little out of it lately, upper respiratory stuff.) Nice story, realistic events, well paced. I never thought we'd have too many sadistic death gangs running about after the end, it's bad strategy--you'd think after seeing how their kind always ends up in all the movies . . . :rolleyes:

You did a good job of painting the discouragment of your main character (1st person no less, cheers) in contract to the message of Xavier. No errors that stood out in a first reading.

... um ... what's in the package?

B5

kongming
March 22nd, 2005, 04:42 AM
As an aside to this thread, my nephew age 10 is writing plays and stories now. Does anyone have any leads on publishers or magazines that would print stories from children of that age? Also does anyone live in the Toronto Ontario Canada area who may know of any young writer's workshops that are held over the summer months?