Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by norm
    I've started a couple of things, no idea where the stories are going or if I'll follow them through to the end though.
    Sorry, norm and Kung Food. Everyone seems to be having trouble with this theme. I seemed to have picked a poor one for this year. I thought of a lot of possibilities when I first thought of it, but I guess it is too specific?

Here's a story that I thought fit the theme really well:

http://flashfictiononline.com/main/2...alisa-alering/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fung Koo
    I'm having a hard time coming up with something for this. Everything I come up with is so cliche.

At least there's lots of time. Out of curiosity, have there been any entries yet?
    Sorry, Fung Koo, I missed your comment.

We have only had one entry so far and it has been rejected.
    I've started a couple of things, no idea where the stories are going or if I'll follow them through to the end though.
    I'm having a hard time coming up with something for this. Everything I come up with is so cliche.

At least there's lots of time. Out of curiosity, have there been any entries yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfen
    What, no royalties? ;P
    Well, since you had to mention it - no. To be honest, I'm not sure (at the 99 cent price point) whether we'll recoup the budget I've set for this year's anthology. ;-)

If we do, then all proceeds will go towards increasing author payments for next year's anthology. My goal is to pay enough so that landing something in one of our anthologies will count towards
    SFWA's membership requirements.

Someone asked about the exclusive and non-exclusive rights that I will be buying for those $5 (of my own money, by the way). The first (exclusive for one year), means that you give me exclusive rights to e-publish your story in this anthology. That means you can't go sell the piece somewhere else in that year. The second part (non-exclusive for one year after), means that you give me the right to e-publish (or print publish, those details will be in our contract) in that year (say I decide to print the anthology the second year, I can do that without having to go back to you and purchase more rights). Since it is non-exclusive for that second year, you can sell the story elsewhere or e-publish/publish yourself. Is that clear?
    What, no royalties? ;P
    Got it!

Thanks!
    CM asked this question in the forum thread:
    Well, blast. Guess I have to rethink what I have in mind, since that seems to include my own previously published characters.

(I'm half joking, since I suspect that it's just a case of poor phrasing.)
    Correct. By all means, if they are your own characters, go for it. But, no fan-fiction, please. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by NilsDesperandum
    Hi Nila

At the risk of sounding dumb (but if you don't ask, you don't get!) have you a small sample of acceptable text/paragraph spacing?

I am definitely intending to submit something to you for this and I would prefer to get this kind of thing right first time so that I can focus on producing the best story I can for you!

It might help others too?

Thanks

Nils
    Hey Nils,

Since I'll be distributing the entries to the judges via ePUB format, the least amount of formatting you do - the better. So, set your program to single spacing and (unlike what you would do for the forum) do not hit an extra return (or enter) after each paragraph. Allow everything to run all together. Likes this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut ut neque eget augue condimentum consectetur elementum nec mauris. Quisque tincidunt enim sit amet nunc sodales pulvinar. Praesent nec eros eros, at tristique sapien. Nam porta tortor vel velit porttitor dapibus. [italics]Pellentesque tempor[/italics] risus vitae ipsum rutrum scelerisque auctor elit sodales. Nunc semper elit lorem. Praesent ac metus dui. In molestie pulvinar mi quis egestas. Pellentesque scelerisque risus at dolor accumsan placerat. Donec facilisis, tortor eget suscipit sagittis, sapien diam ullamcorper ipsum, dignissim tempus risus urna nec nunc. Integer blandit, tortor rutrum laoreet tincidunt, risus diam tristique lectus, nec congue lectus mauris non nibh. Aliquam scelerisque urna posuere nunc imperdiet sed tristique libero commodo. Aliquam pharetra ligula et massa ornare viverra. Aliquam erat volutpat. Nullam sagittis viverra purus, sed ornare dolor vestibulum vel. Morbi ac nisl ac magna ullamcorper vehicula ac vel sapien.
    Donec elit enim, imperdiet at pellentesque quis, hendrerit vitae nisi. Phasellus euismod, tellus in facilisis lacinia, urna leo hendrerit elit, vitae congue nisi magna vitae nunc. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Nullam sit amet arcu id ligula laoreet ornare. Curabitur semper laoreet magna, porttitor fringilla eros mattis id. Vivamus velit ligula, placerat sed aliquam eu, iaculis at justo. Vivamus mi sapien, [bold]ullamcorper pretium[/bold] placerat volutpat, iaculis eget lorem.
    Donec tristique urna in nisl venenatis ac dapibus sapien egestas. Etiam mollis aliquet risus vitae sodales. Etiam vel justo non justo feugiat posuere vestibulum vitae nibh. Vivamus et aliquam justo. Praesent varius, velit id adipiscing pellentesque, tellus urna ultricies nisl, nec consequat ligula lorem at lacus. In sed tortor turpis, non scelerisque dui. Suspendisse erat nunc, sollicitudin vel dictum quis, tristique vitae felis. Donec in hendrerit lorem. Aliquam non velit est. Aliquam in aliquam risus.

Yes, it looks ugly, I know, but it means I could generate a properly formatted ebook file.

With that said, I'll accept whatever you all give me. :-)

By the way, I hadn't meant to include this bit:
    We welcome and strongly encourage submissions with underrepresented main characters: characters of color, LGBTQ characters, and women characters.
    Though I do encourage that, I hadn't meant to include that line in my announcement (left over from a copy/paste thing).
    Hi Nila

At the risk of sounding dumb (but if you don't ask, you don't get!) have you a small sample of acceptable text/paragraph spacing?

I am definitely intending to submit something to you for this and I would prefer to get this kind of thing right first time so that I can focus on producing the best story I can for you!

It might help others too?

Thanks

Nils
    Sounds pretty good to me!

Cheers!
    Hello, horror writer. Yes, the Sierra Nevada mountains are nice. Thanks for reminding me I haven't posted here in ages...should do so soon...
    Hi, tmso. I like the background best, in the dog picture.
    Awww puppy. I don't know what I'd do without my dog.

I'm going to have to put some photos up at some point as I've just realised I don't have any on my computer! They're all on my phone and a couple on facebook...
    I have to admit I took a can of spam camping once... there was plenty of it left afterwards and we had to throw it in the bin as not even the local wild life wanted a bar of it!
    They are not that big, Gerry. And please, no spam. You have been warned.
    Yeah his ears are quit big Man...!! which breed is this??
    Updated February 29th, 2012 at 01:43 PM by N. E. White (spam)
    Well, if we're talking the real S.P.A.M., then...um...no. Not even the real spam.

You are right, hard work and perseverance is what it seems to take. That and getting a little lucky. Oh, and that little thing called talent. But you got loads of that. So no worries there.
    Not even a little spam? Hidden in between two slices of bread?

Completely agree with what you have written. I think it's like Idol - all the people that get on that show thinking that they are superstars, only be told that they suck (which they do) but sometimes it needs to be said- perhaps not in the way that makes them cry though... But in the end those that have the skill and perseverance will perhaps one day succeed.

Same with writing, I think some skill needs to be there but a heck of a lot of perseverance, hard work, sweat and tears… and preferably a spam free diet.
    I guess that was a little unclear. I don't mind band stuff as I'm a freelance music writer also. A lot of up and comers post free songs or even albums and I dig that. Hell, Trent Reznor gave his last ep, an NIN side project with his wife, away for free! I love not paying for music (I do usually review it, so I guess I sort of am) and I do not pirate. This post has been grammatically abysmal, but I've been writing most of the day and my brain is a little tired.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast