View RSS Feed

Eldanuumea

1. I may give up on SyFy.

SyFy keeps breaking my heart. First, they positioned Stargate Universe on a Tuesday opposite Dancing with the Stars, which I have never watched but which most of America watches. Then they moved it abruptly to Monday night.....I caught the midseason opener by pure luck.

Cancelling what is arguably the best series in the Stargate Universe is very short-sighted and stupid.** Apparently, DVR'd shows don't count in the ratings game.

Robert Carlysle (spelling?) is an ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Living with Fibromyalgia

Depressing title, yep. But now that I've been officially diagnosed with this thing - I don't think of it as a disease, but as a syndrome - I feel a bit vindicated.
    The medicine I'm on handles most of the joint and muscle pain, but what it doesn't seem to help is the constant fatigue. When my doctor asked me if I experienced fatigue often, I thought for a minute and realized I had no memory of what it felt like not to feel tired. I wake up tired. Exhaustion is what I feel by the end of a ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Where Has the Time Gone?

God, it's been longer than I want to admit since I've logged on here. My life has been filled to the brim with health issues - hubby's and mine - and job-related toxic stress. There have been issues with my children's lives as well. I have decided to retire from teaching this May, because it dawned on me the job might kill me before I stopped.
    Long story short.....I am on blood pressure medicine, fibromyalgia medicine, and several other psychtropic drugs. It bothers me that my daily survival ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Whatever happened to Hesse?

Almost no one I know, whether in "real" life or in cyberspace, remembers the novels of Hermann Hesse that were so popular in the early 70's. I cannot imagine why there has not yet been a Renaissance of interest in his works.

Steppenwolf (yes, the band named itself after the book) was probably the most popular. My personal favorite was Majister Ludi, also called The Glass Bead Game. That book has set the pattern of my learning and teaching. One things leads to many things, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. More fantasy than sci-fi.....

I am not reading anywhere near the sci-fi stuff I once did. My attention, since the LOTR films, has been on fantasy.
    I own lots of great sci-fi stuff recently acquired through my membership in a book club, but I almost always turn to fantasy, British crime novels, or (blush) historical romance rather than sci-fi.
    I don't know why that is, really. Back in the 60's, I discovered Asimov, Clarke, Simak, Heinlein, and many other greats in that genre. Then I went through a couple of decades ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Twitter Trivia

My daughter got bored one day recently and made me my own Twitter-place. You can follow me as "Eldanuumea." Not much is happening there yet, but I figure a few friends could help it grow into an interesting place.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Our Best and Brightest....by the Wayside?

Today is a no-students, parent sort of day. the idea is that parents come to pick up report cards and talk to whichever teachers they wish.
    As I have no homeroom and therefore no report cards to hand out, I've been twiddling my thumbs.

You see, I am such a wonderful teacher that no one has any complaints.

But, as I was walking through the halls just now, I saw a former student with his mom. Now this boy has my hubby for World Geography I, and I stopped them ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sunday at the ER

My hubby and I just got home from spending about seven hours in the ER. We thought he basically had flu, and the idea was to get him the doctor's note he needs to be excused from an absence on the day after a holiday without me missing a day to bring him to the local clinic.

Well, they ruled out flu rather quickly and did a chest X-ray. After a little while, I saw the familiar cowboy boots that his oncologist always wears passing by under the curtain enclosing our room, and I peeked ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Another Pleasant Valley Sunday

Today marks the final day of our Spring Break, and wouldn't you know it......after a week of glorious rest and concert fun in Atlanta, hubby woke up in the early morning hours with what looks like influenza.

Since we are supposed to be back at school tomorrow to greet parents with happy smiles, I am afraid it will be more like the doctor's office for us. I do hope this isn't flu, that it's perhaps just the physical stress of a six-hour drive, end-of-vacation blues, and sinus congestion. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. The Far East is nearer than we think....

In the northwestern suburb of Atlanta where we are staying, it seems like everyone is either Korean, Japanese, Chinese, or Vietnamese. Almost every business sign has at least one type of oriental characters along with the English.

This area also seems to be a technological center. There is even a Peachtree Technology Boulevard.

In downtown Atlanta, where our conert venues are, there are lots of students from surrounding universities, including Georgia Tech, and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. The joys of a big city

Tomorrow night will be our last night in Atlanta. We've spent most of our time actually resting......lolling around an extremely cushy hotel room and reading, sleeping.

I suddenly realized today that I haven't taken any ibuprofen or naproxen sodium since we got here. My body doesn't hurt! I never sleep very well, and apparently my body needed the deep, undisturbed sleep I've been getting while here.

It will be interesting to see how things return to normal when we ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. It's seems like years.

t thing......here's the link to my old blog entries:
    http://www.sffworld.com/blogs.html

And now, to begin anew.....
    It does seem like years since I posted in my blog. I happen to be on vacation - the first one my hubby and I have taken in over 22 years - and I find myself with time on my hands to think about writing.

We're in Atlanta for five days, mainly to see two concerts: Bill Frisell and Victor Wooten. But we're also justing getting rest, badly-needed, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized