View RSS Feed

sullivan_riyria

1. Writing Advice #2: Before the Basics (part 2)

(Too long so broke into two pieces).

2) It allows you to sketch as well as write. You can draw out maps, and diagrams of things you want to use later, or do drawings of places or people, as they appear to you.

3) Mostly however, the reason I use them is for brainstorming. I donít write prose in notebooks. I write my books on my tower computer locked in the sanctuary of my office with the door closed and the rest of the world, and its distractions, walled off. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Writing Advice #2: Before the Basics (part 1)

This is the second in a series of posts designed to assist new aspiring writers learn the craft. You more experienced writers (published or not,) Please feel free to comment on anything you think I might have missed. This is the first day of class where we arenít going to get any work done, but youíll get your supply list.

So what do you need to be a writer? A ...

Updated October 19th, 2011 at 07:45 AM by sullivan_riyria

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Writing Advice #1

Iíve shied away from writing posts on how to write even though I am aware that a sizable section of my audience is likely aspiring writers and might appreciate some insight or at least validation. The reason Iíve avoided such topics is that I donít know how to write. Let me clarifyóIíve never ďlearnedĒ how to write in any structured sense.

I never had any formal education beyond the one Creative Writing class in my sophomore year of high school, where I and two of my friends ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Trusting the Reader

I have spent a great deal of time working with aspiring novelists as of late, and doing a large number of critiques. As I mentioned in earlier posts, there are patterns. Those following the path of writing fiction appear to become lost in many of the same places. Having wandered aimlessly myself, I am familiar with most all of these traps. Some are obvious, like knowing that a story should consist of a beginning, middle and end; that a book should have a setting, characters and a plot. Others are ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized