View RSS Feed

SkyFitsJeff

1. What constitutes GOOD Science Fiction?

This is a question I've been pondering for a while. Recently on some site I noticed a science fiction group, and the only requirement was the books had to be science fiction. Then they proceeded to give an odd definition. This isn't the first time I've heard the topic discussed, so I thought I'd throw in my two bits, but instead of defining science fiction, I thought I'd tackle good science fiction. After all, who wants ...
  2. Where have all the Short Stories gone?

I bought a Kindle a year ago, and one of the many things I loved best about it was the selection of short stories I could download for $.59, $.79, or $1.50; stories that were printed in a magazine years ago and haven't been seen since. Stories that I wouldn't even have known about let alone read otherwise. Stories by Charles Sheffield, Kevin J. Anderson, and L. Sprague De Camp that are as good as it gets. And download I did.

The other day I was browsing the Kindle store to see if ...
  3. Borderlands of Science REVIEW

I've been reading a book called Borderlands of Science by Charles Sheffield. I have loved it and highly recommend it.

Charles Sheffield was a mathematician and scientist long before he started writing science fiction. Because of this, his stories have much more "hard science" than most other books and stories I've read. This particular book is actually a nonfiction book--a primer on science for the aspiring science fiction writer. But it's a book everyone can benefit from ...