View RSS Feed

General

Your basic no particular agenda category.

1. Why I will never, ever, EVER shop at Best Buy again

by , January 31st, 2014 at 09:09 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    So I bought a Beats Pill for Kim for Christmas. It was the wrong color ( I knew it was the wrong color when I bought it, Red was out of stock at the time, staff assured me I could trade it later). Kim called every week to ask if the color she wanted was available. Finally, Red is available, I go in to exchange it, on the day we found out it was available. They refused to hold one of the red ones *(should have raised a flag then and there). Great customer service story is already starting.
    Categories
    General
  2. I'm not dead!

by , May 14th, 2013 at 10:56 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I've just been sucked under by a work-nami.

That and the current piece I'm working on is not going well. I'm encountering some kind of personal resistance to the topic, I guess. Call it Horror-block.

--Brian.
    Categories
    General , Writing
  3. exercise equipment

by , April 3rd, 2013 at 08:42 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    let's be realistic. all exercise equipment for in home use should also do something else so it actually gets used. ours would, with some modification, make an excellent drying rack for clothes. I could see treadmill toasters, elliptical chairs, bicycles with a fan mounted in them, a dehumidifier would be nice.

Updated May 14th, 2013 at 10:50 AM by expatrie

Categories
    General
  4. CDC finally begins preparations for zombies

by , May 21st, 2011 at 10:17 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Including facebook apps, widgets, and all that other stuff I don't get.

But anyway, at least they're finally admitting it could happen and are getting prepared for it, and preparing the public as well.

(provided, of course, that today isn't the end of the world minus the zombies, then it was all a waste of time, just like my high school history class.)

Updated May 31st, 2011 at 10:12 PM by expatrie (added another snappy comment.)

Categories
    General
  5. Life imitates art imitates life imitates art imitates...

by , May 18th, 2011 at 09:07 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Now that the news on Timothy Ray Brown has broken, (and presuming it holds up to scientific scrutiny), is anyone thinking of Virtual Light besides me? I seem to recall that character even had a "Ray" in their name.

--Brian.

P.S. Bonus points to whoever puts the hardcover page that oblique reference to the AIDS vaccine posited by Gibson appears, so I can look it up for myself.

Well, after (on the second try) remembering to grab my copy of Virtual ...

Updated May 31st, 2011 at 10:11 PM by expatrie

Categories
    General
  6. Writing Humor

by , March 27th, 2011 at 11:20 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    One of the toughest things for me is writing humor. It isn't the jokes that come difficult, it's the wondering if the person to whom I am writing is going to be offended. No matter the length of the friendship, I always wonder if this time I've gone too far. Email in particular.

I gnash my teeth and check email again and again, wondering if I'll ever hear back from that person, if I've overstepped a boundary in attempting to lighten a situation.

I have an easier ...
    Categories
    General , Writing
  7. #$(*&#$ Microsoft.

by , December 16th, 2010 at 12:31 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Why is it that every time I try to print something, it always. Always. ALWAYS. Involves rebooting the damn computer, failing twice to purge the thing that 'won't print' from the printer which somehow doesn't disappear unless you shut down the computer (restart is technically the same thing, yet it doesn't work) and then, after all that, the original thing prints?

Why is that?
    Categories
    General
  8. Plowed under.

by , December 15th, 2010 at 10:29 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, Minnesota got hit with the fifth biggest snow event in history on Friday-Saturday.

I've finally gotten us cleared out as of nine pm Sunday. ANd I had to use the wheelbarrow to haul snow to the front yard since the driveways with the neighbor are against each other. Only five wheelbarrow loads needed and you can still see the wheelbarrow molded hunks in the front snowbanks.

Very happy that the snow started Friday after we were all home and I had time to buy formula. ...
    Categories
    General , Writing
  9. Two Quotes:

by , September 27th, 2010 at 12:33 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Thomas Jefferson:

"I find every one comprehends a distance readily when stated to them in miles & cents, so they would in feet and cents, pounds & cents, &c." He had always supposed that once decimal measurement was adopted by "the men of science," it would only be a matter of time before it was taken up by "the tardy will of government who are always in their stock of information a century or two behind the intelligent part of mankind." ...
    Categories
    General
  10. The Event

by , September 20th, 2010 at 09:34 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I watched about five minutes. When you start a story and there's a jump backward to "43 minutes ago" and then there's a jump to "11 days ago" and then you repeat an I'm-supposed-to-think-this-is-a-highjacking scene twice before the first commercial break, I can tell already it's junk. I don't need another show that's basically jumping backward like some Quentin Tarantino movie that's not nearly as good as people think it is because it's so out of sequence.

Garbage. ...

Updated February 20th, 2011 at 08:40 PM by expatrie (punctuation for clarity.)

Categories
    General
  11. English

by , September 4th, 2010 at 02:04 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Short and sweet. Somebody asked what we're reading these days.

Here's what I'm reading:

Measuring America - Andro Linklater. I'm a civil engineer, this is about surveying and the history of surveying (and measurement of weights) in America. Turns out we almost got a metric system way back when and still don't have it. Interesting, but perhaps more so to the fantasy novel writer crowd who someday may lust for a story where they don't say "A few seconds / minutes ...
    Categories
    General
  12. Why do I do it?

by , August 28th, 2010 at 12:16 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    You know it happens to me a lot. I find something new or some new post on a technical topic and decide to pitch in with my advice/knowledge. Then somebody doesn't like the advice and I end up in a fruitless dispute, trying to prove what an expert I am on something over the Internet, while they try to prove what an expert they are....

Which makes about as much sense as sticking two cats into a sack, betting on which one wins the fight, and refusing to open the sack.

Updated August 28th, 2010 at 12:16 AM by expatrie (category)

Categories
    General
  13. The beauty and the curse of the used bookstore

by , July 14th, 2010 at 01:51 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I get a coupon for 40% off a single title.

I go to the bookstore.

I stay too long.

I wander too far from my area of focus and end up in Technology.

No, they don't have a nice engineering textbook or a nice old building code or material code.

Ok, they had a tempting math title.

But they do have this:
    Ancient Inventions / Peter James

Sacre Bleu!

At which point I open it up, ...

Updated October 28th, 2010 at 01:27 PM by expatrie (pretty up the hyperlink)

Categories
    General
  14. 56 views.

by , July 10th, 2010 at 03:09 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Fifty six!

Allright. I know three people posted comments to my last post, but how did any of you find this blog?

Is there some sort of "new blog posts" button I've not found?

I admit to trolling the "new posts" but that's in the forums.

Quite curious as I make my way around here and learn how things work.

--Brian.
    Categories
    General