View RSS Feed

Markets

Writing, marketing / research advice, and of course, theme issue / free contest deadlines.

1. Defective prints of Cold Days

by , December 10th, 2012 at 02:13 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    FYI - if you ordered a signed Dresden Cold Days hardcover from Barnes and Noble, you might have a defective book. Mine has a double-feed leave from 345-376, and then it jumps to page 409. Obviously I found this out when I got to page 376 for the first time, but it took me a minute. Like, wait. Harry's taking a shower again? Lacuna is saying she has no clothes again? I'm so confused...

Then I realized. So.

And if you buy the book from a store, check you have pages 377-408 ...
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  2. Cold Days - no book, no spoilers

by , November 29th, 2012 at 10:59 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I couldn't spoil the book for you folks if I wanted to. I haven't read chapter one of the preview even, and apparently my book is arriving by quadriplegic hobbit. They took a full day to package the book after I bought it. Wake up Barnes and Noble! Amazon would get it in a box on the same dang day.

Why me?

Let alone the new format and spending ten minutes trying to find... create new post.

--Brian.

I'd rather be reading Cold Days. Dangit. ...
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  3. September 2012 S/F/H deadlines

by , August 29th, 2012 at 10:40 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Has it been a year since I've done this? Work has been eating me alive, and the old home life, too. That and a nearly pathological need for sleep.

Just a sampling cut from duotrope (new format for the web site, give it a look).

Red Skies Press: True Dark Darkest horror 12 Sep 12
    (9/30/2012) Tomorrow Anthology: Post-apocalyptic
    (9/30/2012) In The Spaces Between Anthology: Science Fiction Mysteries

(9/30/2012) Story Star Publishing Short Story ...

Updated August 29th, 2012 at 10:45 AM by expatrie (added True Dark--which I could still conceivable hit the deadline for)

Categories
    Markets
  4. Gaaaa. Overload.

by , June 2nd, 2012 at 03:32 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I took another look at the duotrope deadline calendar and it's like the whole year has three to five times more deadlines than the last time I looked. Tons of horror/scifi/fantasy deadlines.

Aie.

And it looks like I can give "Heartbreaker" another polish, provided I ever finish "Bitter End" for that revenge anthology on the 15th of June.

Right now, "Bitter End" has all the appeal of a week-old bowl of oatmeal. I'm at 1,200 ...
    Categories
    Markets , Writing
  5. Aspiring cover artists.... take note

by , February 3rd, 2012 at 09:08 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    This is preliminary notice that I know a publisher that will be running a kind of "submit a cover" art contest. More details coming soon, but those of you interested, please take note. Exposure only, no actual pay (these are for token pay anthologies, after all...), but your work will be "out there" on the various sites as the cover.

--Brian.
    Categories
    Markets , Writing
  6. Books in September?

by , November 13th, 2011 at 12:56 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Really? I haven't posted from September yet?

I owe you one September book report.

(Nanowrimo ate my soul, no idea what happened in October.)

--Brian.
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  7. September & October S/F/H deadlines.

by , September 17th, 2011 at 03:43 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, halfway through the month, nearly, here's the recap for September. If you're into pressure-writing, there are still deadlines you can meet.

Otherwise, to paraphrase a song, set your sights on October.

--Brian.

Pill Hill Press: Trigger Reflex, The The Monster Hunter 01 Sep 2011

Indiana Horror Indiana horror 01 Sep 2011

May December Publications: Wake the Witch Anthology Wake The Witch 01 Sep 2011

EMG-Zine ...
    Categories
    Markets
  8. Books in August

by , September 7th, 2011 at 08:28 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Two.

Two.

Now, what were they?

Well, one of them was Novelist's Boot Camp.

Search me. What was the second one?

Well, after consulting my calendar, turns out it was the not particularly good Empire.

So what was my problem with Empire?

Spoiler:

Well, the whole thing. First the writing wasn't particularly good. Second, the "blurb" on the back pretty much didn't match the book. As it turns
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  9. Bored to death by a horror podcast

by , August 19th, 2011 at 06:37 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    "Make no mistake, this story is one of my ten best favorite stories of all time." - name withheld.

"Make no mistake, this story made me wish it was over from the first minute, and keep on wishing it would end for the next thirty minutes." - Brian.

Can anyone guess which podcast?
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  10. Books in July

by , August 10th, 2011 at 10:23 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Four.

Which compared to the last few months is a gain.

(As a side note, when the "stock market" -- more accurately the Dow Jones Industrial Average-- drops 500 points, out of 10,000 or so, as a percentage, that's five percent. I wouldn't quite call that a "free fall" or a "death spiral" and how is it that the "business" Vulcan brained hyper intellectual --so they say--WSJ is the one using these terms?) The phrases self-perpetuating ...
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  11. The story about my copy of Ghost Story

by , July 29th, 2011 at 05:29 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Apparently it is being sent through FedEx by a camel.

Ship date

Jul 25, 2011

Estimated delivery

Aug 2, 2011

It was in Wisconsin yesterday, it is in Brooklyn Park today -- still NOT delivered.

Borders also canceled two of my other orders, so, mucho thanks fellas. Plus membership my eye.

Seriously, it's going to take three days (Saturday, Monday, and finally Tuesday) to get here from ...
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  12. July S/F/H deadlines

by , July 9th, 2011 at 12:37 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Rymfire eBooks: State of Horror: Massachusetts Horror Stories set in Massachusetts 14 Jul 2011

Leap Books: Spirited Anthology Ghostly stories for young adults 15 Jul 2011

C. P. Anthologies: Memory Eater Anthology, The The Memory Eater 15 Jul 2011

Machine of Death Anthology (Vol. 2) A machine that tells you how you're going to die 15 Jul 2011

Glasschord Future Shock 15 Jul 2011

Anthropomorphic Dreams: Human/Furry Fiction Anthology ...
    Categories
    Markets , Writing
  13. Books in June. Double Aug.

by , July 3rd, 2011 at 10:21 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Paperback Original - William Rhode. Well, I have a self-professed weakness for advance copies. I got this one at a used book sale and just had to have it. Especially with all the "NOT FOR SALE" stickers on it.

Book wise, the concept sounded fun, India, drug deals, and so on. The execution wasn't there, however.

1 Dead in Attic - Chris Rose. I got it to learn some about Hurricane Katrina (I was trapped in a design office planning out a composite steel floor ...

Updated August 10th, 2011 at 10:24 PM by expatrie (proofreading corrections)

Categories
    Markets , Reading
  14. June S/F/H deadlines

by , June 3rd, 2011 at 07:51 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    These are all 2,500 - 7,500 word stories. I haven't seen all of these on duotrope (the folks at duotrope are pretty overwhelmed), so I figured I'd mention them here and everyone watching could get advance notice.

State of Horror: Massachusetts - Opens June 1 - closes July 14. (rymfireebooks.com)

Post-Apocalyptic Raids. Opens June 15th 2011 - closes August 1st 2011. (special note: No zombies). Future zombie anthologies are planned so I'll try to keep you zombie fans, ...

Updated June 3rd, 2011 at 08:03 PM by expatrie

Categories
    Markets , Writing
  15. Books in May... sigh.

by , May 31st, 2011 at 07:50 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Aug.

Two.

Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

Reasonably good. As a study in a different form of a novel (there are chapters of the actual main line, mixed with poems by one of the characters, then a short story by one of the characters) it's been educational.

Chuck also does a good job of "going there" into the gross and disgusting, if you like that kind of thing, and there's very little flinching and leaving things to the imagination. ...

Updated July 3rd, 2011 at 10:07 PM by expatrie

Categories
    Markets , Reading
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast