View RSS Feed

Writing

Writing for fun and / or profit.

1. Cleaning up

by , May 10th, 2014 at 10:08 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, I'm finally starting to revisit Burnout Blackout, my 2013 National Novel Writing Month effort, and part 1 over on wattpad is now cleaned up of the most obvious typographical errors from November last and is now posted.

Sadly, this is another form of procrastination, as I'm doing this instead of working on a non-fiction project, but it is writing, so....

It's getting closer to being worked on, I have a first reader and a topic, and proofing writing is a lot closer ...
    Categories
    Writing
  2. Burnout Blackout live on wattpad (nanorwimo13)

by , November 30th, 2013 at 06:58 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    The whole thing is up. Novel complete at 50,996 per the official validator.

I'm not sure the old links will work, so here's an updated link as I renamed the bugger a little hoping to make sure it got into the $2,000 drawing over on wattpad, which is why the novel now has the nanowrimo13 at the end of the title.

http://www.wattpad.com/story/9722929...ut-nanowrimo13

--Brian.
    Categories
    Writing
  3. Burnout Blackout live on wattpad (nanorwimo13)

by , November 22nd, 2013 at 03:01 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Parts one to eight (roughly the first twenty days) are up on wattpad if anyone's interested.

http://www.wattpad.com/29498035-burnout-blackout

--Brian.
    Categories
    Writing
  4. Burnout Blackout live on wattpad (nanorwimo13)

by , November 9th, 2013 at 11:13 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I know some people in the Nanowrimo community post their novels and progress live, unedited, as they work.

This year I'm joining the scrum, I guess.

So, should you like to read the progress so far, here's the link.

Expect sporadic updates, I'm going to try to keep updates to once or twice a week.

http://www.wattpad.com/story/9722929-burnout-blackout

--Brian.

Updated November 9th, 2013 at 12:26 PM by expatrie (typo)

Categories
    Writing
  5. NaNo 2013

by , November 9th, 2013 at 10:57 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Hoping I can get closer to "par" over the weekend, though getting distracted by setting up on Wattpad hasn't helped.

At any rate, work should start laying off a little over the next week (although not really, I have 11 projects to complete and two from last week still "hanging" and revisions expected on the four I "completed" last week.

We'll see.

Other than that, as story gossip, I've picked up Burnout from last year (I ...

Updated November 9th, 2013 at 11:05 AM by expatrie (expanded information)

Categories
    Writing
  6. Stephen King quote on talent

by , July 5th, 2013 at 09:16 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, I just finished Bag of Bones today.

On a non sequitur note, I decided to check out the wikipedia entry as I was unclear where we were on the time-line - pre or post being hit by a van. This book is pre.

Anyway,

King's formula for learning to write well is: "Read and write four to six hours a day. If you cannot find the time for that, you can't expect to become a good writer." He sets out each day with a quota of 2000 words and ...
    Categories
    Writing
  7. The writing process

by , June 2nd, 2013 at 04:47 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, if you didn't see the May 1 broadcast of Modern Family, with Jay struggling to create a page of his spy thriller, well, I found it hysterical.

Here's information on "Career Day."
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2716564/

One bit (and there are more, please, that are funnier)
    http://youtu.be/otZ1NMk62ic?t=1m49

--Brian.

God, I am so procrastinating.

Updated September 6th, 2013 at 09:38 PM by expatrie (added youtube link because I'm procrastinating.)

Categories
    Writing
  8. I'm not dead!

by , May 14th, 2013 at 09:56 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I've just been sucked under by a work-nami.

That and the current piece I'm working on is not going well. I'm encountering some kind of personal resistance to the topic, I guess. Call it Horror-block.

--Brian.
    Categories
    General , Writing
  9. Deadlines

by , June 25th, 2012 at 08:47 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, to quote Douglas Adams, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

While I always meet deadlines at work, I am not so successful at writing. This time the issue was I spend too much time doing nothing in the story. I realized this was a problem and came up with a different approach angle, but just ran out of time.

--Brian.
    Categories
    Writing
  10. Gaaaa. Overload.

by , June 2nd, 2012 at 03:32 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I took another look at the duotrope deadline calendar and it's like the whole year has three to five times more deadlines than the last time I looked. Tons of horror/scifi/fantasy deadlines.

Aie.

And it looks like I can give "Heartbreaker" another polish, provided I ever finish "Bitter End" for that revenge anthology on the 15th of June.

Right now, "Bitter End" has all the appeal of a week-old bowl of oatmeal. I'm at 1,200 ...
    Categories
    Markets , Writing
  11. Aspiring cover artists.... take note

by , February 3rd, 2012 at 09:08 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    This is preliminary notice that I know a publisher that will be running a kind of "submit a cover" art contest. More details coming soon, but those of you interested, please take note. Exposure only, no actual pay (these are for token pay anthologies, after all...), but your work will be "out there" on the various sites as the cover.

--Brian.
    Categories
    Markets , Writing
  12. February....

by , January 29th, 2012 at 01:38 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, given I haven't posted Books in October, November, or December, or for that matter, January, it's pretty obvious I've fallen behind on what I plan to do with this blog.

End of January is turning into a surprise sprint at the end of a marathon, so I'm going to try to do a little catch up in February.

What can I say? I closed on a house in December and moved in. Then there were all the window treatments, and every day off to work on those turned into a half day ...
    Categories
    Writing
  13. Live and Let Undead released!

by , January 4th, 2012 at 12:59 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    My story "Industrial Disease" is in the Live and Let Undead anthology edited by Hollie Snider.

Live and Let Undead Anthology.

If you're interested, give it a try.

(While the cover may imply some kind of.... well... adult relationship between zombie and the living, my story is not like that.....)

--Brian.
    Categories
    Story Sales , Writing
  14. Concept

by , September 17th, 2011 at 03:54 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Here's a concept question: Do readers care that much about typos?

I got into this discussion once (poorly) over on some random "I hate self-published books" type of blog. All the reviewer did was accept free copies and quit reading after reaching a set number of typos (which was always before the end of the book, mind).

But is it the story that a normal reader is looking for, or excellent proofreading?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting ...
    Categories
    Writing
  15. July S/F/H deadlines

by , July 9th, 2011 at 12:37 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Rymfire eBooks: State of Horror: Massachusetts Horror Stories set in Massachusetts 14 Jul 2011

Leap Books: Spirited Anthology Ghostly stories for young adults 15 Jul 2011

C. P. Anthologies: Memory Eater Anthology, The The Memory Eater 15 Jul 2011

Machine of Death Anthology (Vol. 2) A machine that tells you how you're going to die 15 Jul 2011

Glasschord Future Shock 15 Jul 2011

Anthropomorphic Dreams: Human/Furry Fiction Anthology ...
    Categories
    Markets , Writing
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast